Corporate Legal – Conflicts Office – Associate
Full Job Description
Global Conflicts acts as a clearinghouse for client relationships. We review the firm’s business activities to avoid or manage any actual or perceived conflicts of interest and/or related reputation risk. We gather relevant information about those relationships, assess where one relationship could conflict with another, and provide senior leaders with a recommended path forward. These range from facilitating a business selection conversation to limiting business activities and managing deal team staffing. The Conflicts team partners with JPMC’s Lines of Business and Control functions (e.g. Legal / Compliance) globally in performing its role.
The Global Conflicts team currently has a position available for an Associate. This position is ideal for candidates who are interested in gaining a broad view of activities globally across JP Morgan Chase’s Lines of Business, including high transaction volumes originating predominately from the Corporate & Investment Bank, and interacting with senior management on a regular basis.
- Review of new business opportunities to determine any real or perceived conflicts of interest within the Corporate & Investment Bank, Commercial Bank, and JPMorgan Asset & Wealth Management
- Review typically involves researching companies in the context of specific M&A and capital markets transactions to identify any actual or perceived conflicts of interest.
- The review also requires extensive deal team interaction, review of the internal global Conflicts Systems/analysis of results, discussion of the proposed activity, and any identified concerns with senior-level bankers and Control functions.
- Provide input and work closely with Global Industry Heads and Product Heads to coordinate business selection calls and ensure that they are comfortable with M&A and Capital Markets transactions.
- Participating in ad hoc projects (e.g., assisting in the development and review of our internal system, new procedures, IB team presentations, etc.).
- University degree or equivalent.
- Relevant work experience in a fast-moving analytical environment.
- An understanding of investment banking products, services, and transactions. Investment Bank experience is highly desirable.
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and thorough.
- Must have the ability to communicate (verbal and written) and document information in a clear, precise, and efficient manner.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects in an efficient manner and bring them to timely completion.
- Must be comfortable working and collaborating within a strong team environment.
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world’s most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals, and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal-opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.