Indian Railways is not the biggest Rail Network but also is one of the biggest modes of transportation. Bike transport by train or any two-wheelers is One of the most common things.
How to transport the bike by train? What are the procedures to book the bike parcel on the train? How much should I pay for Bike parcel charges in Indian Railways? Is it possible to proceed with bike transport by train as luggage?
You can find all answers to send the bike by train below:
How to Transport Bike by Train?
You can transport goods from one place to another using Indian Railways in two forms, either as luggage or as a parcel. Luggage is something you can take it along with you on the same train you travel. A parcel is subjected to transportation to your choice of the destination through any train or railway wagon as decided by the Rail Authorities.
The whole process of bike transport by train has been completely changed. Until a few months, you can carry the bike along with you on the same train you travel. However, bike transport by train is now purely Railway authority's decision. Still, bike transportation is available in two ways, luggage and parcel booking.
There are two ways to transport bike by train:
- Bike Transport by Train as a Luggage
- Bike Transport by Train as a Parcel
Bike Transport by Train as a Luggage
- Step1: Go the railway luggage booking office a day or two before you want your bike to be carried as luggage on the train you travel. Make an inquiry a few days before about the possibilities of bike transportation as luggage on the day when you travel.
- Step2: If you are booking the bike as your luggage, carry at least two or three copies of mandatory documents of the bike with you.
- Step3: Fill the form providing the relevant information and pay the bike parcel charges as intimated.
- Step4: Let your bike get parcelled or packed by a packer. You can find a lot of trained packers who can parcel it to perfection.
- Step5: Book the bike as luggage and carry the luggage receipt with you. You will also receive an endorsement along with the train ticket. These two documents are essential to get the delivery of the bike.
On the day of transport, please ensure the following:
- Avoid last-minute hassles and carry your bike to the railway station early.
- Make sure your bike is taken to the right platform and loaded on the train you travel.
- After you reach the destination station, go to the luggage office, submit the luggage receipt and endorsement of your ticket. The office authorities will provide a delivery or dispatch receipt.
- Visit the parcel office and get your bike delivered.
Also Read: How to Book IRCTC Retiring Room?
Bike Transport by Train as a Parcel
Bike parcel in train is almost similar to sending a parcel through a 3rd party courier such as Packers and Movers, Gati etc.
- Step1: Visit the parcel office on the day or day before you want to transport your bike. (Carry the documents as mentioned above.)
- Step2: Pack the bike by using some expert packers. Make sure that your bike packed perfectly.
- Step3: Fill the parcel booking form and enter the engine number and chassis number in the form, and pay the charges. Collect the parcel booking receipt and keep it safe.
- Step4: Carry a marker and create an identity mark or write the booking receipt number on your bike for easy identification during the delivery.
- Step5: The authorities will decide about the train through which they transport your bike. Most of the time they do not transfer the bike immediately. You have to track the transition and enquire about the parcel office about the delivery schedule, date and time.
- Step6: You can collect the bike from the destination at any time up to 48 hours after the bike has been transferred to the warehouse of the destination. If you delay for more than 48 hours to pick your bike from the warehouse, you should pay additional charges to get the delivery.
- Step7: During delivery, you should carry the parcel booking receipt. Make sure to note the booking receipt number on the bike parcel for easy identification during the delivery of the bike.
Documents Required for Transportation of Bike by Train
Before booking for transporting your bike, make sure you have all below documents of the bike:
- Photocopy of Registration Certificate of the Bike
- Photocopy of Insurance
Without insurance and bike registration certificate, it is not possible to transport a bike by train.
You should also duly fill the form for transporting a bike, which requires providing your details, source and destination address, contact number, etc.
Also Read: IRCTC eWallet Registration 2020
Bike Parcel Charges in Indian Railways
Rail transport Fess is always cheap when compared to another mode of transportation. Please find the for bike parcel charges/cost
|Packing Cost||Rs. 300/-|
|Delivery Cost||Based on Bike Weight & Journey Distance (Calculate Here)|
|Insurance Cost|| |
Bike Price Declaration up to Rs.10, 000 don’t have any extra charges. After that 1% extra of the declared value will be added
The bike parcel charges generally vary based on the weight of the bike and the distance. The distance slabs are in kilometers. For example, if the distance of transport is 290 km, and if your bike weighs about 100 kgs, you should pay Rs. 121.73 as bike parcel charges. Here is the chart to Bike parcel charges.
Indian Railway Luggage Charges Calculator:
Click on below link to open the indian railway bike luggage charges calculator:
Also Read: Train Coach Booking For Marriage
Other Points to Consider During Bike Transport in Train
Declaration of the value of the bike is an important factor. All transportation made through Indian Railways is covered by insurance.
The cost of bike parcel charges in Indian Railways includes a nominal fee charged towards insurance. You should declare the value of the bike. If the cost of the goods/bike is a maximum of Rs.10000/- no extra fee they will charge towards insurance.
If the cost of the bike is declared more than Rs.10000/- the insurance is charged at 1 % on the total extra value of the bike excluding the base value, Rs.10000/-
Do not fuel the bike during transportation. The authorities will levy a fine of Rs.1000 to Rs. 5000 for transporting the bike in train with fuel. So, empty the tank or leave a scanty amount of petrol in the tank. Make sure to empty the petrol tank of your bike when you transport the bike in case of long-distance transportation like Central Railways or Western Railways from Southern Railways or vice versa, you should empty the bike.
In the case of any damages or losses or suffers an accident, Indian Railways pays the value of the bike declared. You should also pay about Rs. 200 to Rs. 250 /- for parceling the bike.
Bike Parcel Booking Timings
10 am to 5 pm. Make sure you get your bike parcel booking done at least by 4.30 pm.
Bike Booking in Train as luggage Timing
Any Time - 24/7, 365 Days
Two Rules for Sending Bike by Train
Empty all the Petrol from Bike: As per Indian Railways rules, you are not allowed to send a bike by train with petrol inside it. This is because you have heard about many criminal cases are happening in only crowded places in India and Railway station is one of the biggest crowded places in any city, to avoid any such incident railway is not allowing send bike by train with petrol.
What happens if you send a bike by train with petrol?
Firstly, you will have to pay a fine of Rs. 1000/- at the destination place. This fee will go to the Railway's account.
Secondly, you can not take your bike at the destination place even after paying 1000/- fine. Yes as mentioned in railway rules they will rush the bike to a police station and you will have to answer the police that Why you have filled the petrol? Then they will force you to submit your Identity into police station thereafter you can take your bike back.
I understand that the Little bit of petrol in a bike is important to reach up to the petrol pump at the destination. As everybody knows the above-mentioned things are just formal rules which nobody follows because of Corruption. If you give only 50Rs. to the guy who takes your bike up to the train then he will allow you to keep a little bit of petrol.
Mentioned cost in the Receipt (In Hindi Bilti) of your bike will be paid to you if any accident or damage happens with your bike.
Also Read: IRCTC Service Charges 2016
My Experience in few words - How to send the bike by train?
Whenever you need to send bike by train then just go to the railway station and always prefer "Bike transport by train as a parcel service" don't go for "Bike transport by train as a luggage" (Process and steps are explained above)
1. Go to the railway's station at parcel counter and ask any local guy to parcel the bike, do not ask any authorized railway officer because the local guy is used to do this and he knows the process very well.
2. Let the guy pack your bike properly and meanwhile you take the receipt ready at the counter. Once you get the receipt you can not touch the bike until it reaches the destination. Because railways have taken ownership of your bike now after giving the Bilti (Receipt) to you.
3. Now your bike may be standing at the railway station for the next 1 week. Yes, the railway always sends the parcels on the basis of FCFS (First Come First Serve). There are thousands of parcels in the railway station and the train is one so the railway takes at least one week's time to complete it. Your bike will be standing for 1 week like the below image.
In this case what to do? I'll suggest you give Rs. 200/- to the guy who has packed your bike and tell him to send a bike by train today only. You might be thinking why Railway will allow that guy to touch your bike after taking ownership? Actually, it's against the rule but all people are corrupted in railways.
The money which you will give to the guy (Rs. 200/-) gets distributed among all the people involved in this process.
I followed the same process mentioned above and my bike reached to the destination place on same day. If you don't follow my experience then i am 100% sure you can not send bike on the same day.
Thanks for reading about my experience! If you have any doubts or complaints then please ask in the comment section below.
You may also like:
7 Steps IRCTC Registration
IRCTC Cancellation Charges in 2020
Train Chart Preparation Time in 2020