AWS Data Centers run critical IT infrastructure and require a reliable supply of uninterrupted cooling and power at all times in order to deliver continuous uptime availability and service for our customers. We are growing our team in South Africa and are looking for a Data Center Engineering Operations technical leader to lead and operate both as Manager and Chief Engineer as required, to join us in Cape Town.
You will lead a team of Facility Managers and Chief Engineers across the region and oversee the best in class operations and maintenance of the mechanical and electrical infrastructure for data centers in AWS Cloud region. Our Data Centre Engineering Operations Managers are highly driven, self-managed individuals who demonstrates initiative mindset, proactively seeks solutions to problems and strives for operational excellency.
Key job responsibilities
Safety: Set and maintain the highest standard for safety and actively promote a world-class safety culture.
• Demonstrate capabilities to lead as manager of managers to a wide group of skilled facility professionals:
• Hire, manage, develop and coach a team of DC facility management staff
• Effectively collaborate with other department leaders including Engineering, Finance, Safety, HR, Recruiting.
• Effectively manage vendors and vendor contracting negotiations
Operations and Maintenance:
• Manage operations in a mission critical environment with high complexity and scale while ensuring not to jeopardize quality. You will operate with autonomy and at high pace and always insists on the highest standards. You will possess strong capabilities to plan and organize continuously overlapping and changing priorities
• Execute strategic preventative maintenance and corrective break-fix planning on mission-critical infrastructures. Review and approve equipment maintenance and repair processes and procedures as well as the ability to tactfully drive continuous organizational change management.
• Manage a mission-critical operations environment with electrical and mechanical equipment, including Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS’s), Switchgear, Circuit Breakers, Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS’s), Diesel Generators, Chillers, Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC), Exhaust Fans, Variable Frequency Drives (VFD’s), and Transformers.
• Prepare for and leading the organization through facility infrastructure incident management plan. This includes event planning, drill coordination, leadership escalation, incident mitigation, and post event reporting and follow up.
We LOVE DATA so be sure to send us a detailed CV to tell us your career journey!
• Bachelor’s Degree in relevant mechanical or electrical field.
• 5+ years of relevant management experience (seasoned manager of managers)
• 10+ years of relevant industry experience. Experience in mission-critical operations environment (e.g. nuclear facility, high technology manufacturing, healthcare, aviation maintenance, oil and gas) preferably linked to a 24/7 uninterrupted operations.
• Operational experience & familiarity with electrical OR mechanical equipment, including Uninterruptable Power Supplies (UPS’s), Switchgear, Circuit Breakers, Automatic Transfer Switches (ATS’s), Diesel Generators, Chillers, Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning (HVAC), Exhaust Fans, Variable Frequency Drives (VFD’s), and Transformers
• Expert knowledge of data center mechanical, electrical, and controls systems.
• Ability to operate independently as a manager of a geographically distributed Infrastructure Operations management team.