Next Chapter SDE Returnship
|Post Name||Next Chapter SDE Returnship|
|Qualification||BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||USD 73 To USD 75 Per Hour|
|Job Location Type||Work From Home|
Good storytelling starts with great listening. At Audible, that means each role and every project has our audience in mind. Because the same people who design, develop, and deploy our products also happen to use them. To us, that speaks volumes.
About the Program
The Next Chapter program at Audible is a 16-week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to individuals who have at least 2 years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least 1 year to focus on caring for a child or other dependent and is not currently in a university program.
At Audible, we are excited to launch the Next Chapter program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other women and men transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This 16-week Returnship program is 100% virtual. Upon successful completion of the Returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. We have fully remote roles or roles based in our Newark, NJ, Cambridge, MA, or LA hubs.
About This Role
This opportunity is for a Software Development Engineer Returnship on the Consumer Domains Team. We are the team that creates and powers Audible’s website applications and services for our global listeners. We are the home for tech talent that wants to grow Audible’s market-leading business and build the sites and services (APIs) across desktop and mobile devices. The team is comprised of developers who work in an agile environment and partner closely with Audible and Amazon tech teams, Product, UX, and QA teams.
We are embarking on a mission to reshape the fundamental experiences and delight our customers and drive a strong engineering culture. It’s our responsibility to push Audible into new places; wherever our customers are listening. Achieving this vision means expanding and strengthening our development process and leveraging new technologies to deliver services and web applications. We need your help to develop and deliver on this vision. Success means we lay the foundation for the continued expansion of our company without disrupting an already tremendously successful and much-loved product.
- A great communicator who can distill important information clearly to both technical and non-technical stakeholders, helping them make informed decisions confidently.
- A team player who brings energy and passion to all efforts and inspires others to do the same.
- Passionate about bringing your skills to Audible while being open and eager to learn new things.
- A detail-oriented problem-solver who enjoys the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
- Curious and unafraid to ask questions to gain a deeper understanding.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will…
- Be part of the team. Our core goal is to make the app easier to use for our customers and more easily maintained by our engineers.
- Own key components within our platform, with the support of the team. “Owning” means envisioning, designing, creating, building, testing, and supporting.
- Contribute to the development of the technical direction and strategy within the team and help influence technology across Audible and beyond.
- Partner with product management to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that invigorates our community and inspires our peers.
- Evangelize our content and application, work closely with business development, and through events like external hackathons and internal brown bag sessions.
- Take advantage of the resources, training, and experts around you to stay up to date with tools, trends, technologies, and frameworks both industry-wide and within Amazon, and then share that knowledge in a meaningful way with the community.
- Solve problems that are not clearly defined and have a large degree of ambiguity while translating our organizational vision into functional plans that guide their execution.
- Support our developers. “Support” means being the go-to person for questions but never a bottleneck. See around the corner and anticipate developers’ needs.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability, and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Background in any customer-facing software development (internal or external).
- Prior success as a software engineer, subject matter expert, and strategic influencer in the direction of product design and development.
- Working knowledge of software development best practices: dependency injection, design patterns, unit/integration testing
- Experience building enterprise-scale mobile applications.
- Experience with application development, and app-adjacent tools and SDKs.
- Competency in automation, and enthusiasm for continuous integration/deployment.