Farm Experience Manager
The existing farm experience is popular with visitors of all ages and is home to several domestic animals including alpacas, goats, pot-bellied pigs, and small animals. Over the next couple of years, we will be investing in the farm experience, upgrading and expanding it, to create a new high-quality farm experience.
As Farm Experience Manager you will lead the farm experience team into the next exciting phase of the farm’s development. You will work closely with the project team on the design and construction of the new farm experience and ensure it meets best practices. You will identify opportunities to expand the animal collection and connect with the work that Harewood Estate is delivering for conservation and rare breeds.
You will be responsible for all aspects of the day-to-day management of the farm experience and ensure best practices and compliance throughout the entire operation. This is a hands-on role working with a small team of staff and volunteers. You will work closely with other teams to develop high-quality farm experiences that educate and engage people of all ages, from schools to adult groups.
MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure provision of high standards of animal welfare and husbandry at all times, including general care, food preparation and feeding, enrichment, record keeping and cleaning and maintenance of enclosures.
- Ensure daily animal health checks are carried out and oversee administration of veterinary medication and medical record keeping.
- Liaise with the vets and other animal health care specialists as appropriate.
- Develop, maintain and implement farm experience operational and health & safety policies and procedures.
- Place supply orders and ensure food and other products are stored appropriately.
Farm experience development
- Work with the projects team on the development of the new farm experience area and advise on enclosure design and specification.
- Review the current farm animal collection and advise on changes and/or additions to the collection.
- Identify and plan operational requirements including food preparation and storage areas.
- Prepare and submit the animal exhibition licence and ensure licence conditions are met.
- Build partnerships with higher education providers and identify opportunities for work experience placements and research projects.
- Develop an annual programme of farm animal experiences and activities, working closely with the commercial and learning teams.
- Lead on delivery of farm animal experiences and activities for visitors.
- Support delivery of education sessions for schools and groups.
- Contribute to the development of wildlife and conservation safari experiences on the wider estate.
- Support delivery of safari tours, working closely with the commercial team and the Harewood Estate team.
- Contribute to farm experience promotional activity including social media posts and website content.
- Ensure delivery of excellent customer service at all times evidenced by positive visitor feedback.
Leadership & Management
- Lead and manage the farm experience team to deliver excellent animal care and provide a must-see and do visitor experience.
- Manage staff performance objectives and encourage staff development.
- Work with the Volunteers Coordinator to develop the farm experience volunteer team, identify roles and training requirements, and ensure regular communication.
- Manage the farm experience budget and ensure costs are budgeted for.
- Ensure correct use of mechanical plant and equipment including vehicle use.
- Undertake minor repairs and maintenance of farm structures and boundaries and liaise with the Facilities Manager if major repairs are required.
- Ensure high standards of presentation at all times in all areas including non-public areas.
- Ensure the Trust’s health & safety policies and procedures are followed at all times.
- Work flexible hours including weekends and bank holidays.
- Be prepared to work unsocial hours in the event of an emergency or animal sickness.
- Any other relevant duties.
To apply for this job please visit uk.indeed.com.