About the Calgary Stampede!
The Calgary Stampede is a not-for-profit community organization that preserves and promotes our western heritage, cultures and community spirit with a vision to create a world-class, year-round gathering place for the community. Exemplifying the theme We’re Greatest Together, the Stampede is one of the most respected volunteer-based organizations in the world governed by a Board of Directors with over 2,500 passionate volunteers and 1,200 year-round employees.
As an organization that exists for the benefit of the community, inclusion and equity are woven into our core values of western hospitality, pride of place, integrity and commitment to the community. The world-class, year-round gathering place we have built for the community also welcomes visitors from around the world and those who are new to the local community. We know that blending diverse cultures with our long-standing traditions makes community spirit thrive.
Client Events & Services
Beyond The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth, Stampede Park hosts more than 1,200 business, tourism, sporting, hospitality, and community events every year, welcoming more than two million guests from every corner of the world. The $500M BMO Centre expansion will be a catalyst to transform the city into a tier one convention city and provide state-of-the-art facilities for our community and guests from around the world.
The Event Manager is responsible for working directly with event organizers to design and detail authentic and impactful experiences for attendees, while supporting and strategizing on how to successfully achieve the defined objectives and financial targets of the event, including identifying event growth opportunities. This position is critical to the successful execution of events and applies a project management approach when detailing and cascading event information to operational teams. The Event Manager is a member of a multi-faceted team responsible for providing service excellence with superior professionalism.
Responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
- Provide detailed guidance and leadership to fulfillment teams on event related matters.
- Lead by example at all times while contributing to the overall goals and objectives of the organization and delivering on the expectations of clients.
- Lead event organizers through the planning process anticipating needs and demonstrating exceptional event strategy and project management expertise.
- Deliver service excellence by providing a personalized, professional and seamless experience to clients.
- Listen to and anticipate client needs to ensure events meet or exceed client established goals and objectives.
- Capture intricate event details and requirements in a clear, concise and effective manner.
- Provide recommendations to enhance services that align with client goals and objectives.
- Balance client needs with the achievability of event logistics and venue standards.
- Ensure client deadlines are communicated and met including but not limited to payment schedules, event details and final guaranteed attendance.
- Liaise with client and supplier contacts for each event ensuring requirements are captured.
- Issue event details including floor plans in a timely fashion.
- Problem solve and resolve conflict, which may include negotiating with fulfillment teams, clients, suppliers, etc. Identifying and resolving event conflicts that may occur with simultaneous events.
- Respond to all client & event requests including organizing, prioritizing, communicating, delegating and executing changes to function space, service requirements, staffing and access.
- Identify authorized client representatives who have signing authority to make changes or additions on-site.
- Ensure event planning guidelines and safety regulations are communicated in advance of the event.
- Demonstrate emotional composure during fast paced and stressful situations.
- Communicate with the sales team to ensure all pertinent event information is seamlessly transitioned
- Coordinate communication and efforts with all employees & suppliers towards the goal of providing the highest level of service excellence through consistent, accurate and ongoing communication.
- Communicate all relevant information during handover to ensure seamless transitions with team members including in-person handover briefings and handover notes.
- Manage overall event profitability by maximizing revenue opportunities for both the client and the organization, understand profit margins and expenses.
- Ensure timely event related reports, including but not limited to event plans, invoices, event profit/loss reports.
- Utilize event management system (Ungerboeck) to capture all event details as well as supplemental documentation (emails, forms, floor plans, event synopsis, handover notes, etc.).
- Attend operational meetings, as well as organize and chair pre-convention meetings.
- Ensure floor plans are properly scaled, shared and implemented.
- Ensure events are closed and invoiced in a timely manner.
- Completion of a 2-year diploma or certificate in event management or business preferred.
- Project management certificate considered an asset.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in event management in a large-scale convention venue or similar.
- Convention Centre experience considered an asset.
- Experience with Ungerboeck (EBMS) considered an asset
- Experience with floor plan systems
- Experience with MS Office, radios and tablets
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, able to choose appropriate, effective ways to communicate to difference audiences including both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to articulate a clear, concise, yet detailed idea, thought or concept.
- Actively listen, ask questions, be curious.
- Aware of and responsive to nonverbal communication styles, recognizes and adapts to cultural differences in communication styles.
- Effectively deliver and receive constructive feedback in an effort to continuously improve.
- Demonstrates resourcefulness by utilizing information from a variety of sources to identify challenges and opportunities, identify the root cause, evaluate options and make quick yet informed and appropriate decisions.
- Anticipate needs, expectations and challenges before they arise.
- Breaks down complex tasks into manageable parts in a systematic, detailed way.
- Ability to apply analytical techniques to identify the root cause of a problem and find the best solution.
- Anticipates the risk or implications inherent in a suggested solution and develops contingency plans to mitigate their impacts.
The Calgary Stampede offers a unique and exciting work environment, an excellent total compensation package and the opportunity for advancement and employee training.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.