Community Living Mississauga
Full Job Description
Community Living Mississauga has been a source of support for people who have an intellectual disability since 1955. Community Living Mississauga provides a variety of supports and services to people who have an intellectual disability, including: residential supports, employment resources, community engagement, Supported Independent Living, respite, and various day support options. Our mission is to provide support to people to ensure their quality of life in the community is meaningfully improved, promoting inclusion and independence.
For more information about Community Living Mississauga, we invite you to visit our website at www.clmiss.ca.
Working under the guidance of a Supervisor, the Support Worker, Part Time (Support Assistant) – Respite Program staff provides direct support to youth who have an intellectual disability while they participate in recreational activities in the community.
This is a part-time opportunity with a set schedule. Must be available to work on Friday and Saturday. The staff team rotates on Friday evenings and all staff work during the day on Saturdays. The Weekend Respite Programs, which include the Friday Nights Out and the Saturday Teen Activity Program, provide respite opportunities for youth between the ages 13-17. The Friday Nights Out opportunity is structured as a Girls Night Out and a Guys Night Out. Each group meets every other week and spends the evening at an activity out in the community. The Saturday Teen Activity Program offers a full day recreational opportunity.
Program staff support small groups of teens to participate in a variety of community activities. These activities could include sports, movies, swimming, cooking classes, etc.
· Promote community inclusion, independence and self-determinism for the people supported.
· Provide direct and indirect support to people as required by their personal support plans.
· Support people to identify, work towards and achieve their goals/personal outcomes.
· Assess the person’s verbal and nonverbal communications skills, utilize alternative communication systems and techniques, as required, and encourage self-expression of the people who receive support.
· Work collaboratively with their team, the people supported and their families to solve problems and resolve conflicts
· Apply techniques and understand concepts related to non-violent crisis intervention (CPI).
· Represent Community Living Mississauga professionally at all times while providing support in the community.
· Completed or actively pursuing a Developmental Services Worker Diploma (preferred), or Social Services Worker Diploma, Child and Youth Worker Diploma with some experience working or volunteering with people who have an intellectual disability.
· Will consider someone who has completed or is actively pursuing a University Degree, with a minimum of 6 months of experience working or volunteering with people who have an intellectual disability.
· Must have a valid Ontario Driver’s License (Class G or G2), access to a reliable vehicle and Insurance.
· Current standard First Aid / Level A CPR certificate required.
· Proficient with PC computer environment; MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) and other software.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal, non-verbal, written).
· Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and with families as necessary.
· Good problem-solving and conflict resolution skills.
· Bilingualism in English/French or other language would be considered an asset.
Why Join our Team?
Community Living Mississauga is a leader in providing support to people who have an intellectual disability. You’ll be joining a diverse, inclusive and passionate team of employees who are dedicated to making a meaningful difference in the lives of people. We offer:
· The opportunity to make a meaningful difference in someone’s life.
· On-going learning and career development opportunities.
· Access to exclusive discount offers and savings on entertainment, travel, attractions, shopping, health, wellness, sports and more.
· Membership in a defined contribution pension plan (subject to meeting eligibility requirements).
· Flexible schedule.
· Employee Recognition & Rewards Programs.
· Friendly, respectful, supportive and inclusive work environment.
Community Living Mississauga is committed to taking every reasonable precaution to protect employees and people who receive supports and services. In an effort to protect the wellbeing of our employees and the people we support, full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential requirement of all positions at Community Living Mississauga. You will be required to submit proof of full vaccination.
Community Living Mississauga values inclusivity and diversity in the workplace. We welcome and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds. We are committed to providing accessible employment practices, including accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
While we thank all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Any information obtained during the course of recruitment will be used for employment recruitment purposes only, and not for any other purpose.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $22.21 per hour
- 4 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Weekend availability
Work Location: In person
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.