Senior Data Scientist
About us: Leading online retail into the future
Ocado Technology is powering the future of online retail across the globe through disruptive innovation and automation. Join us to create world-class systems at the intersection of robotics and IoT, cloud platforms, big data, machine learning, software development, and beyond.
We’re constantly reinventing ourselves, learning fast, evolving our craftsmanship and taking risks as we strive to fulfill our mission to change the way the world shops.
We enable some of the world’s most forward-thinking retailers to do grocery online profitably, scalably and sustainably. Over the past two decades, we have developed a wide technology estate that includes robotics, AI and machine learning, simulation, forecasting and edge intelligence which all form part of our game changing ‘Ocado Smart Platform’ product.
We champion a value-led culture to get our teams working at their very best and to help create a collaborative working environment that our people love. Core values of Trust, Autonomy, Craftsmanship, Collaboration and Learn Fast help drive our innovative culture.
About the role:
We are a team of five data scientists working on a range of Ocado projects within the Fulfilment stream. The team are located in both London and Sofia so occasional company travel between sites will be required.
To date, the team’s focus has been optimising the picking of in-store orders. It’s an exciting time for data science in fulfilment as our new strategy is to increase fulfilment efficiency within our Customer Fulfilment Centers, created by Ocado, whilst maintaining best-in-class algorithms for in-store picking.
The team aims to solve problems from first principles and to experiment with novel data science methods or novel applications of existing methods. Ideas can come from anyone: we have a proposal board which anyone can add to.
We anticipate that some problems will require operational research methods, and others will require machine learning, such as predictive models for manual activity rate. There may also be problems requiring probabilistic uncertainty modelling, such as cost-to-serve.
What we’re looking for:
- Strong data science background, including solid Python coding and machine learning. It is a plus if you have experience of operational research and optimisation techniques
- Someone who is curious and is comfortable thinking outside the box
- Someone who values collaborative over individual ways of working and is comfortable being challenged by others
- A great communicator, who is able to convey complex ideas to multiple audiences, including non-technical
Our employee benefits are designed for you, we care about people and we’ve ensured we have a wealth of benefits that focus on your well-being. We regularly review our benefits to ensure we are supporting our employees appropriately. Currently, we offer technically stretching work, a competitive salary and;
- Hybrid working patterns meaning part of the working week can be spent working remotely (typically 3 days per week). However, your working pattern will depend upon your role/team.
- 30 days working from anywhere policy
- Wellbeing support through Apps such as Unmind and an Employee Assistance Programme
- 25 days annual leave, rising to 27 days after 5 years service (plus optional holiday purchase)
- Pension scheme (various options available including employer contribution matching up to 7%)
- Private Medical Insurance
- 22 weeks paid maternity leave and 6 weeks paid paternity leave (once relevant service requirements complete)
- Train Ticket loan (interest-free)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Share Options (5-10%)
- Opportunity to participate in Sharesave and Buy as You Earn share schemes
- 15% discount on Ocado.com and free delivery for all employees
- Income Protection (can be up to 50% of salary for 3 years)
- Life Assurance (3 x annual salary)
To apply for this job please visit uk.indeed.com.