Camphill Village Trust
Job title: Farm Assistant
Location: Botton Village, Danby, Whitby, North Yorkshire. YO21 2NJ.
Purpose: To work as part of the farm team in carrying out day-to-day activities, including working with sheep, cattle and pigs. To support the People We Support and others using the day service to achieve agreed goals during day activities on the farm in a meaningful and safe manner.
Salary: £10.90 per hour.
Hours: 30 hours per week between 08:30am-16:30pm Monday to Friday. Overtime weekend work will also be available. Part time hours may be considered.
Do you have a passion for agriculture?
Would you enjoy being outdoors in the beautiful countryside of North Yorkshire caring for animals and conducting general farm work?
We have an opening for you to join us as a Farm Assistant at our beautiful Botton Community, near Danby, North Yorkshire. If the following appeals, we’d love to hear from you.
- You are resourceful and able to show own initiative.
- You are able to motivate and organise self and others.
- You have an interest in farming and working on the land.
- You have a calm and patient personality.
- You care deeply about others and treat everyone with respect and dignity.
- You will be able to react sensitively to other people and recognise different viewpoints, beliefs, values and opinions.
Who are we looking for?
- Previous experience of working with livestock is essential.
- Previous experience of working with people with learning disabilities is highly favourable.
- A reasonable general education (evidence of numeracy and literacy).
- Working knowledge of health and safety.
- Knowledge of animal husbandry.
- Ability to carry out physical work/manual labour.
- You will probably find it easier if you have your own transport as we’re in a beautiful valley near Danby, North Yorkshire, and public transport is limited: but this isn’t essential providing you can get to and from the site.
- You have, or want to, support individuals with a learning disability within a Farm setting.
What are the main responsibilities of this role?
- To carry out delegated day to day activities on the farm.
- To ensure that meaningful work opportunities are provided to people we support and, where appropriate, support the obtaining of accredited qualifications and learning.
- Ensure you work within the appropriate policies, procedures, practices and controls (identifying and putting in place any that are necessary for the farm) and that appropriate recording and reporting arrangements are used to support and evidence the meeting of CVT’s contractual and regulatory requirements, having particular regard to health and safety requirements.
- Ensure that all people we support are supported according to their risk assessments and supported as appropriate to participate in and meaningfully contribute to, the workshop activity and have the opportunity to experience variety and progression.
- Undertake such other tasks as required individually or with others to develop and maintain the high quality of service required to fulfil the vision of the community, including for example by actively participating in meetings and in relevant training and organising the workshop to support festivals.
- To contribute to the health and wellbeing of the animals on the farm.
- To recognise illnesses and welfare issues on the farm and take the appropriate action where necessary. i.e inform your line manager or treat the condition if applicable.
- To check animals on a daily basis and report problems.
- To provide animal husbandry in line with British standards. This may include calving, lambing, trimming feet, tagging sheep and dealing with pests and diseases.
- To contribute to the strategic discussions, as part of the farm team, i.e., 5-year planning meetings for the land, farm vision meetings and extended land group.
- Keep all appropriate records and information in an orderly manner and on a timely basis.
What do we offer you?
In addition to a competitive salary, our benefits include:
- 25 days annual leave statutory bank holidays (pro rata and accrued according to number of shifts worked).
- Once you join us, you’ll be eligible to benefit from “Charity Discounts” where you can enjoy reductions from lots of differing retailers and service providers.
- An opportunity to ‘cash in’ one week leave a year.
- Employee assistance scheme that is also available to your immediate family.
- Free on-site parking.
- Access to an array of artisan shops and an onsite café.
- Sick pay entitlement after one month service.
- Pension Scheme: we contribute to a pension scheme along with your personal contributions.
- Death in Service benefits: payments made to your beneficiaries should the unthinkable happen.
To apply for this job please visit uk.indeed.com.