Foreign & Commonwealth Office
ROK – Trade Policy Protocol Officer, AO
Job Description (Roles and Responsibilities)
The British Embassy Seoul is a large diplomatic mission of approximately 100 staff delivering a dynamic and rapidly expanding program of activity in support of the UK’s objectives. This is an exciting opportunity to be a core part of our Trade Diplomacy team and work in a historic site in the heart of the city.
The successful candidate will be part of the Trade Diplomacy Team covering Trade Policy (including Digital Trade) in support of Embassy objectives under the Country Business plan. The officer will work closely with teams across the Embassy, as well as with teams based in the UK. The successful candidate will also engage regularly with external stakeholders.
Roles and responsibilities:
Trade Policy / Free Trade Agreement
- Conduct desk research to gather trade policy information and data from available sources as required, primarily focusing on trade in services and digital trade, in support of UK priorities for the re-negotiation of the UK-Korea Free Trade Agreement
- Monitor media, government, and academic resources to contribute to reporting to HQ
- Manage events and the hosting of external stakeholders including businesses and political contacts, in support of our Trade Diplomacy and FTA objectives
Protocol and Logistics
- Provide logistical and protocol support and guidance to delegations visiting in Korea, and where necessary, support Korean delegations visiting the UK.
- Support arrangement of bilateral meetings from ministerial level to working level.
Budget Management and Administrative Support
- Support the Trade Diplomacy team’s budget holder with management of finances, including tracking expenditure and processing payments. Work closely with the corporate service team and the Trade Diplomacy Counselor, ensuring team members are well-informed of available budget and expenditure
- Help deliver British government funded projects related to Trade Diplomacy, Digital, Market Access and FTA priorities
- Support Trade Diplomacy and Digital Counselors with ad hoc team related administrative tasks
- Help Senior Officers with logistical arrangements for events and meetings
- Support the team by raising purchase orders and handling payment processes for events/meetings/project funds including HERA (HR platform) process.
- Provide ad hoc support to all parts of the team, including across Trade Policy, Market Access and Digital Trade
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience in international relations and/or trade work
- Fluent in English and Korean
- Strong IT literacy
Desirable qualifications, skills and experience
- Experience in similar, administration roles
- Experience of desk research on Korean legislation and process
- Event and project management skills
- Budget management experience
Learning & Development Opportunities:
The British Embassy Seoul encourages all staff to develop their capabilities, through both formal training (courses) and informal (job-shadowing, coaching, on-the-job training etc). The majority of our formal L&D opportunities are drawn from FCDO resources. All staff are encouraged to share their skills and experience with colleagues, through informal training (‘lunch & learn’) or coaching/mentoring.
Normal working hours are Monday to Friday, 09:00 – 17:15 (17:00 on Fridays). The British Embassy encourages flexible working and various flexible working arrangements are possible with line manager agreement, including working from home. Specific flexible working options can be discussed, but ideally successful candidate should be able to work from the office at least 3-4 days per week.
No accommodation or relocation expenses are payable in connection with this position. Employment offers are subject to successful clearance of pre-employment checks. All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit. Any costs related to obtaining or renewing permits and visas are the responsibility of the successful applicant. Staff who are recruited by the British Embassy are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law.
To apply for this job please visit kr.indeed.com.