Fort McKay First Nation
ABOUT THE NEW SCHOOL – Come Join the Team!
The Fort McKay First Nation is nearing completion of its Brand-New K-9 school located in the community of Fort McKay. The Elsie Fabian School will be openin we are looking for dynamic and passionate Educators who love Northern Living to join the team! The school will incorporate both the Dene and Cree Language, culture, and Land-Based Education where students will learn about their rich local history. Fort McKay is looking for talented educators who practice and believe that the well-being of the child is at the center of everything; this is the shared practice and belief of the Fort McKay elders, parents and community members.
The foundation of the Elsie Fabian School is engagement in teaching and learning, parents and community, culture and traditions, and a school environment based on the principles of love, responsibility, respect, listening, nurturing, relationships, humility and learning. Join us and be apart of the Fort McKay community – a Nation that is committed to advancing quality education for all First Nations learners by connecting to land and honouring our languages.
About The Role
We are seeking a highly dedicated and experienced individual to fill the full time position of Cook Assistant. As the Cook Assistant for our new school, you will work collaboratively as a team in a dynamic workplace while following all safety procedures.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare meals on menus and based on nutritional programs and individual plans
- Ensure quality and safety of food by performing standard and any additional sanitary measures including sweeping of the floors, cleaning of surfaces, as well as proper covering and storage of food items according to standards and procedures.
- Work at an efficient and consistent pace to ensure timely preparation of all meals.
- Follow proper reporting procedures for accidents and incidents to ensure follow-up and prevention.
- Adhere to all regulations including blood borne pathogens, infection control, use of hazardous materials and fire safety.
- Serve food in the proper portion size and at the proper temperature.
- Scrape food from dirty dishes, wash by hand and then place in racks to be cleaned by the dishwashing machine. Dry and stack clean dishes.
- Ensure equipment and utensils are kept in a clean orderly condition.
- Wash tables, walls, refrigerators, countertops and shelves.
- Remove trash and bring to industrial bins.
- Sweep and wash floors daily.
- Wash pots, pans, and trays by hand.
- Load and/or unload trucks picking up or delivering food supplies.
- Transfer supplies and equipment between storage work areas.
- Provide preparation support for meals (wash and peel vegetables using a knife or peeling machine).
- Support the Head cook with packaging Meals and occasionally provide meal service as directed.
- Perform other related duties as required
- Completion of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Culinary Management Diploma or a Food and Nutrition Management Diploma preferred
- Two (2) years cooking experience preferably in a school setting preferred
- Alberta Health Services (AHS) – Food Safety Course Required
- Heavy lifting is required
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of methods and procedures for serving food, principles of sanitation, and principles of safe food handling and knowledge of food and catering trends, quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation required
- Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Experience working in a First Nations community including knowledge of First Nations culture, traditions and values is a definite asset
- Ability to speak, read and write Cree and/or Dene considered an asset
- Clean Criminal Record Check with vulnerable sector required
- Valid class 5 Driver’s License & Clean Driver’s Abstract required
- Successful candidate will be required to live in (or relocate to) Fort McMurray, Alberta
Fort McKay is committed to the success of its employees and in addition to a competitive compensation structure, we also offer the following:
- An employer matched Pension Plan
- Comprehensive Health benefits package with Medical, Dental and Vision coverage
- On-site Fitness Centre because a healthy work-life balance is important to us!
- The opportunity to work with a community that is committed to protecting its traditional lands – to learn more about the Moose Lake Plan visit:
About Fort Mckay
The Fort McKay First Nation (FMFN) is composed of over 800 band members, including those of Cree and Dene heritage, with approximately 400 members residing in the hamlet of Fort McKay — a community located approximately 65 km north of Fort McMurray. Fort McKay offers the best of both worlds: remote northern life for the nature lover and proximity to a large city of about 70,000 people with all the amenities you need.
To apply for this job please visit ca.linkedin.com.