Fraser Health Authority
Health Care Assistant
In accordance with the Mission and Values of Fraser Health, the Health Care Assistant works under the direction of a professional nurse (Registered Nurse (RN), Registered Psychiatric Nurse (RPN), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Nurse Practitioner (NP)), in cooperation with the interprofessional care team, and following established care plans and person-centered care. Provides personal care to patients such as assisting with toileting, bathing, skin and hair care, oral hygiene, grooming, dressing, changing beds, patient positioning and mobilization. Observes and reports patient progress, assists patients with meals, transports patients, and performs related general duties.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides personal care to patients such as assisting patients with toileting, bathing, skin and hair care, oral hygiene, grooming, dressing, changing beds, patient positioning and mobilization.
- Observes and reports patient progress including anticipated/unanticipated patient responses to care, patient discomfort and/or pain, skin breakdowns, and unusual incidents and/or accidents to the designated RN/RPN/LPN/NP.
- Assists patients with meals by completing menu slips, checking meals to ensure the maintenance of dietary restrictions, serving and collecting meal trays and feeding designated patients.
- As directed by the RN/RPN/LPN/NP, takes temperature, pulse, respiration, and weight and obtains non-sterile specimens such as urine and stool.
- Transports patients using mechanical aids such as wheelchairs, lifts and stretchers.
- Assists in the admission, discharge and transfer of patients including the transfer/care of clothing and personal belongings.
- Sets up charts for new patients and attaches documents to charts as directed by the RN/RPN/LPN/NP and according to established protocols.
- Performs a variety of related general duties such as answering the phone, maintaining storage areas, ordering supplies through stores, transporting specimens, maintaining and locating inventory of equipment, cleaning and caring for equipment such as commodes/bed pans, and maintaining tidy patient rooms and patient care areas.
- Attends internal/external committees, patient care meetings and training sessions as assigned.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Education, Training, and Experience
- Grade 10 plus graduation from a recognized Health Care Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Current Food Safe Level One, as required.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.