The Production Labourer (Utility Person) works primarily in the finishing end area of the Gerdau Rolling Mill. This person is responsible for ensuring quality steel bars are prepared and packaged to meet our customers’ needs.
- Handle, sort, stack and bundle finished products and scrap materials
- Inspect finished bar product during continuous processing
- Tag and inventory finished product using automated weighing and piece count systems
- Assist Machine Operators in equipment set-up and aid in troubleshooting
- Clean machines and immediate work areas
- Operate overhead cranes and forklift
- Communicate clearly over 2-way radio with Machine Operators
- Work independently and/or in a team setting with minimal supervision
- Follow all safety rules
- Perform other activities as required
- Industrial Rolling Mill with majority of working time indoors
- Physically demanding; lifting up to 23 kg (50 lbs) regularly
- Fast-paced environment
- Combination of sitting, standing, walking for extended periods
- High school diploma/GED
- Work in a team environment and communicate effectively
- Good attendance and work ethic
- Must be physically able to perform in a labour intensive environment
- Basic computer skills
- Excellent oral communication, dependability, judgement
- Must be able to work shift work – rotating between days and nights as scheduled
- Must be able to use the following: pneumatic tools, banding equipment, hand-cutting torches, pry bars, grinders, etc.
- All successful candidates must pass a Medical & Ergonomic Assessment
- Background, Education and Criminal record check will be performed
- Starting rate of $28/hr plus shift premiums when applicable
- Overtime available
- Health/Dental/Life/ AD&D Benefits
- Pension/RSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Opportunities to progress to higher paying positions based on seniority
- All uniforms and PPE provided
Gerdau believes in equal employment opportunity related to all employees and applicants of employment. It is the policy of Gerdau that there will be no discrimination against any employee and applicant for employment on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or other legally protected status. All external applicants must be legally eligible to immediately work in the country of hire without current or future sponsorship.
If you are vision-impaired or have some other disability or have some other disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Gerdau, please contact our Talent Acquisition Team at or email@example.com.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.