Full Job Description
Main duties of the job
The main duties for this role are described in detail in the job description and person specification document, that is attached to this vacancy. Please ensure to read through to further your understanding of the role.
Working for our organisation
The Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust is one of the UK’s biggest and most innovative trusts. Across three main hospitals, our dedicated army of staff care for over 1.6million patients, treat more than 200,000 in A&E, deliver over 8,000 babies and carry out more than 17million tests.
Our size, scale and influence offer you unrivalled career opportunities and a forward-thinking approach to working that works around your lifestyle. From flexible hours and generous benefits, to next level training, we make it easier to take your career to the top
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
1. CLINICAL RESPONSIBILITIES
Maintain a professional behaviour at all times and promote a positive image of Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust at all times, in line with World Class Care values.
To assist the staff in the delivery of direct patient care.
To assist the nursing staff in maintaining patients well-being and dignity in a safe environment and in maintaining patient confidentiality and privacy.
To understand and adhere to all relevant trust policies and procedures.
To be polite and professional at all times.
Recognise the importance of working within the team and supporting colleagues.
To be courteous and professional at all times when dealing with patients, relatives, colleagues, when answering the telephone and when dealing with members of the multidisciplinary team (MDT).
Report any concerns regarding patient’s well-being or safety to the nurse in charge.
It is the responsibility of any member of staff who becomes aware of either a clinical or non-clinical incident to escalate immediately to the registered nurse.
To understand the principles of the Friends and Family Test/Expedia patient feedback and how it is used to improve and maintain an excellent patient experience.
Assist nursing staff with ward preparation for admission and to ensure the bay areas are appropriately cleaned on patient discharge or transfer.
Assist in orientating patients and visitors to the ward environment.
Deliver and collect items from other departments as necessary.
Help to keep all areas of the ward environment clean and tidy.
Ensure compliance with all aspects of Infection Control, Isolation and Food Hygiene policies.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR PATIENTS
To understand and support safeguarding principles for patients and escalate any concerns to the registered nurse.
At all times to respect patients’ privacy and dignity.
To communicate in an appropriate manner with patients and relatives at all times.
Assist with all aspects of patients’ dietary needs as required.
Assist with all aspects of patients’ hygiene and personal needs as required.
Assist the nursing staff with moving and repositioning of patients within the Trust’s Manual Handling Guidelines as required.
Assist patients with mobilising as required.
Monitor and record patient’s observations; blood pressure, pulse, temperature, blood glucose monitoring and routine urine tests.
To measure and document patients’ height, weight and BMI.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR POLICY AND SERVICE DEVELOPMENT
Answering the telephone and relaying messages to the appropriate member of staff.
Ensuring the safekeeping of patient’s property in accordance with Trust Policy.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR FINANCIAL AND PHYSICAL RESOURCES
To keep the general environment clean and tidy, being alert to possible sources of cross-infection, maintaining safe and clear walkways and bed areas, ensuring fire exits remain clear and equipment and supplies are stored correctly.
Assist with restocking ward supply levels and report when stock levels are low.
Assist nursing staff in ensuring all equipment is stored correctly and is in working order.
To help with cleaning and maintenance of equipment, reporting any damaged or faulty equipment to the nurse in charge.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR LEADING AND MANAGING
Working with the staff in facilitating patients’ admission and discharges.
Identifying any issues with documentation and bringing it to the attention of the nurses.
- RESPONSIBILITY FOR INFORMATION RESOURCES
Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
To assist the nurses in keeping the medical records of patients safe and confidential.
Undertake delegated clerical duties including filing, finding notes and administrative tasks, adhering to the Data Protection Act.
- EDUCATION AND DEVELOPMENT
Attend general Trust Induction.
Through the appraisal system, ensures own training needs are identified and mandatory training is kept up to date in conjunction with the Ward Manager.
Attends staff meetings, including team briefings and reads information as required.
To undertake staff development review with the appropriate supervisor.
Royal Free World Class Values
- Demonstrable ability to meet the Trust Values
Education & Qualifications
- Education & Knowledge of personal care and related procedures
- Willing to develop and work towards new diploma Level 2 or equivalent
- Demonstrable literacy and numeracy skills
- NVQ Level 2 or Equivalent
- New Diploma Level 2 or equivalent
- Previous experience of team work
- Previous experience of customer care
- Interest or experience within a carer role/setting
Skills and Aptitudes
- Ability to provide individualised care and empathy
- Good organisational skills
- Able to communicate effectively with patients, relatives and multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to work in a team
- Able to demonstrate an awareness of the important of confidentiality / privacy and dignity
- Can explain the principles of infection control
- Willing to develop own knowledge and practice
Personal Qualities & Attributes
- Has a caring, compassionate and professional nature
- Demonstrates self-motivation and common sense
- Diplomatic and calm
- Ability to work as a team and form professional relationships with colleagues
- Flexibility in shift and working patterns to meet the needs of the service
- Covid-19 Vaccination
Getting vaccinated, and getting a booster, remains the best defence against COVID-19.
We encourage and support staff to get COVID-19 vaccine and a booster dose as and when they are eligible.
- AT* – Apprenticeship Training. Where AT* is entered next to the job title indicates that this vacancy is for an apprenticeship role.
- By applying for this role, you accept if successful, that your personal data may be transferred from the Trust to another NHS organisation where your employment transfers within the NHS. This is in accordance with the streamlining programme which aims at saving you time and improving efficiencies within the NHS when your employment transfers. Therefore we require you to complete your stat and Man e-learning modules prior to joining our organisation.
- If you are an EU/EEA citizen who does not have EU Settlement or Pre-Settled status, you will require a visa to work in the UK. Please Note: We are unable to sponsor Band 2 to 4 as the salary does not meet the UKVI Points Based system threshold.
- If you require sponsorship for a visa to work in the UK, to avoid disappointment, please check to ensure you are eligible under the UKVI points based system
- If you are offered a role with one of the NLPSS partner trusts, as part of pre-employment checks your identity and right to work documentation will be verified remotely (in most circumstances), using a certified identity verification service provider TrustID. You will be asked to capture an image of the relevant documents as well as a “selfie” using your smartphone/tablet (if available) for facial matching. TrustID will also perform a digital address check using Trunarrative and Equifax, which is a soft check and does not leave a footprint on your credit rating. For more information, visit www.trustid.co.uk
- The Trust uses electronic new starter forms on Trac to collect personal details. Information collected is securely stored and used to set up the employee record on the ESR HR system.
- The Trust will request a DBS (CRB) if post involves regulated activities. The Trust is compliant with the Disclosure and Barring Service Codes of practice and the Rehabilitation of offenders act.
- By applying for this post you are agreeing to Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust transferring the information contained in this application to its preferred applicant management system. If you are offered a job, information will also be transferred into the national NHS Electronic Staff Records system.
- Please be aware of scams – unless specified above, we will only communicate with you via @recruit.trac.jobs or nhs.net e-mails and we will never ask you for any payments.
Applications are welcome from people wishing to job share or work flexible patterns. We are committed to equal opportunities.
- Due to the high number of applications that are received for some posts we may close this vacancy before the advertised closing date. Therefore please apply for this post as soon as you can, if you are interested and you meet the requirements of the Person Specification
- Only those candidates who clearly demonstrate how they meet the person specification will be shortlisted for this job.
- Interview arrangements will be communicated via email so please check your email regularly following the closing date.
Please be advised that due to exceptionally high demand, all Royal Free accommodation is at full capacity and waiting lists are being held. Average waiting times are 12 months. Please do not rely on Trust accommodation when you commence your role and ensure you investigate alternative accommodation for your arrival.
To apply for this job please visit uk.indeed.com.