The Isle of Wight College
Apprentice Healthcare Assistant – Brookside Health Centre
Here at The Isle of Wight College we work with a number of employers, in a vast array of industries. A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work as an Apprentice Health Care Assistant at Brookside Health Centre.
This is a unique opportunity for an enthusiastic apprentice to work as an Apprentice Health Care Assistant within a local surgery setting in Freshwater.
Our aim is to provide the highest quality medical care and treatment in a friendly and comfortable environment.
We provide general medical services for patients registered with our Practice and immediate and necessary healthcare support for any person not registered with us who have an urgent medical need while temporarily living within our practice area.
Operating mainly from the Health Centre, we have a large number of Health Care Professionals, including GPs, Advanced Nurse Practitioners, Nurse Consultant, Practice Pharmacist, Practice Nurses, Healthcare Assistants, Musculoskeletal Practitioner, and Social Prescriber.
Working under the direct supervision of the nurse team and strictly in accordance with specific practice guidelines and protocols, the successful Healthcare Assistant Apprentice will assist the practice clinical team in the provision and delivery of prescribed programmes of patient care.
Tasks and Responsibilities to include:
- Patient health checks.
- ECG recording.
- BP Checks.
- Performing minor dressings under the supervision of member of the nursing team
- Chaperoning duties.
- Processing and management of laboratory samples requested by GPs/Nurses.
- Vaccine/cold chain storage, monitoring and recording.
- Surgical equipment and vaccine re-stocking and stock rotation.
- Clearing and re-stocking consulting rooms.
- Preparing and maintaining environments and equipment before, during and after patient care interventions including assisting GPs/ANPs during the performance of minor operations and other procedures.
- Assisting in the assessment and surveillance of patients’ health and well-being.
- Undertaking specific clinical activities for named patients that have been delegated and taught specifically in relation to that individual.
- Helping to raise awareness of health and well-being and how it can be promoted.
- Assisting with the collection and collation of data on needs related to health and well-being.
- Documenting accurately consultations according to guidelines
- Blood test recalls
- Informing patients of results
Full training and support will be provided to the successful candidate.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team and able to work make decisions if needed.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to work under pressure, and ability to multitask.
GCSE grade C/4 or above in English & Maths (or equivalent qualification and/or ability to work towards these Functional Skills.)
- Healthcare Support Worker Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard.
- Functional Skills in Maths and English if required and not previously achieved GCSE grade 4 or above.
- There is a requirement to complete off the job training of 6 hours per week which you will complete during your working hours, College attendance will contribute but time spent either learning something new, other courses or any support work that is not in your usual role will also be counted.
- 37.5 hrs per week over 5 days
- £5.28 per hour.
- Can be negotiable.
To apply for this job please visit uk.indeed.com.