Bruce-Grey Catholic District School Board
|Hiring Organization||Bruce-Grey Catholic District School Board|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 17 Per Hour|
Full Job Description
Under the direction of Laundry and Housekeeping Management, Housekeepers and Janitors will primarily perform cleaning activities within well-established guidelines and across our beautiful campus. This role provides clean, sanitary, comfortable, orderly, and satisfying surroundings for the student, staff, and guests of the boarding houses, and to all staff and members of the public in all other buildings on campus. The incumbent’s quality of work must reflect Brentwood’s high standards. Housekeeping staff must adhere to all WorkSafe BC guidelines and ensure the housekeeping areas and equipment are clean and well-maintained.
- Clean commercial and residential campus buildings, (floors, walls, interior, and exterior windows), furnishings, and fixtures according to established housekeeping procedures, in keeping with the established schedule and as needed/requested;
- Dust low and high places;
- Vacuum, scrub, or sweep all floors. Strip and wax floors with an auto scrubber or floor polisher;
- Clean and disinfect all bathrooms by washing floors, sinks, showers, toilets, and walls while keeping them fully supplied;
- Move furniture, equipment, and supplies for maximum access to areas to be cleaned. Move tables and chairs and set up classrooms or the dining hall;
- Empty all garbage, compost, and recycle bins daily;
- Use a range of cleaning tools, supplies, and equipment to perform tasks (e.g. dry mops, wet mops, sweeps, waxes, vacuum cleaners, floor polishers, burnishers, auto scrubbers, carpet shampooer). Maintain tools and equipment to ensure peak operating performance and reliability;
- Mix, prepare, and properly label cleaning solutions, according to specifications;
- Report all minor and major repair requirements;
- Perform duties in an environmentally and personally safe manner;
- Safely clean and disinfect where and when necessary, including situations involving bodily fluid exposure (e.g. blood, vomit). Will need to wear Personal Protection Equipment (PPE), when required.
- Perform emergency housekeeping when accidents and/or emergencies occur (overflows, stains on the carpet, etc).
- Locks or unlocks doors turns lights on/off;
- Keeps janitor’s closets neat, tidy, and fully stocked;
- At times, assists with room set-ups for meetings, external events, or various other activities and cleans up afterward;
- May assist with training and monitoring the work quality of seasonal staff.
- Previous experience housekeeping in a large commercial (hotel or restaurant) or institutional environment is preferred, but not mandatory;
- Experienced with the use of cleaning and sanitation products, procedures, and techniques;
- Working knowledge of common mechanized cleaning equipment is desirable;
- Current or previous WHMIS certification/training is an asset but not required;
- First Aid skills and/or certificates are considered assets but not required.
- Strong attention to detail: Effective interpersonal and professional skills;
- Solid organizational, communication, and time management skills;
- Maintain good working relationships with all students and staff, suppliers, vendors, and trades;
- Reliable and punctual attendance;
- Highly flexible, ability to work independently and as part of a team. Undertake all aspects of the role without daily/ongoing or specific direction;
- Must be able to multitask and schedule and/or prioritize own work;
- Ability to comprehend and communicate detailed instructions orally and in writing;
- Must be able to demonstrate engagement in respectful, inclusive, and appropriate behavior at all times: conversations with staff and students;
- Ability to create and offer alternative solutions to problems;
- Maintain a clean and tidy work area;
- High personal standards for producing quality work results, with a strong work ethic and affinity for cleanliness and sanitation;
- Maintain a clean, tidy appearance with good personal hygiene;
- Good physical conditioning and fitness stamina are needed to perform all requirements of the position on a daily basis;
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times.
- Work normally requires a moderate to the high level of physical effort. This includes lifting up to 50 pounds, as well as, bending, kneeling, twisting, reaching, and ladder climbing (8 feet in height);
- Work normally requires a moderate level of manual dexterity for all aspects of fine cleaning;
- At times, the repetitiveness of tasks adds to the mental effort to remain engaged, positive, and supportive;
- Be available for extra shifts as required to meet the Operational needs of the school, at times with little advance notice;
- A variety of flexible shifts are available. This is a 7-day-a-week operation and weekdays, weekends, evenings, and nights are needed;
- May be required to work outdoors, such as, when cleaning glass;
- The busy boarding school environment, located in a modern campus complex in Mill Bay;
- Enjoys working with and being around young people;
- Work may require the need to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);
- Successful clearance of a Criminal Record Check is a condition of employment, and the position is subject to a probationary period;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
To apply for this job please visit www.bgcdsb.org.