Penguin Random House Canada Limited
|Hiring Organization||Penguin Random House Canada Limited|
|Post Name||Design Internship|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 18 Per Hour|
|Job Location Type||Work From Home|
As a team of dedicated book-loving professionals, we discover, shape, and share content that nurtures thoughts, dreams, and conversations around the globe, ensuring that new and established voices are heard.
We are actively seeking to add team members from communities with lived experiences of marginalization and underrepresentation. We respect and value each individual and are committed to creating a more diverse team and establishing a culture of belonging. If you identify as Black, Indigenous, a person of color, a member of the LGBTQIA2S+ community, or another marginalized group, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Penguin Random House Canada internships:
In this role, you will engage in meaningful work that supports your professional growth and facilitates learning in your area of specialty while you work to contribute to the success of our books. You will be surrounded by others with the same curiosity, drive, and passion for books you will bring to this role.
Most employees based out of our offices in Toronto and Vancouver are currently working from home, and so at this time, we welcome applicants from anywhere in Canada to join us remotely for the duration of this internship.
We’re looking for a highly creative Design Intern to join our team.
What you’ll do:
At Penguin Random House Canada, the Design team is fast-paced and essential, ensuring we create beautiful book covers and interior pages that entice our readers. You’ll learn the intricacies of the design process and sharpen your InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator skills and your prepress knowledge as you assist the team. This internship is a great way to see how Design interacts with the Editorial and Production teams to create bestselling books.
What you can expect from your internship experience:
You will gain valuable experience in the industry, make connections and build relationships with teams across our company while working alongside a cohort of other interns, and play a part in getting the books we publish into the hands of our readers. Through on-the-job learning, you will develop and gain new skills that will be valuable to you in this role and in the future.
Our interns are paid $18.00 per hour and work 35 hours per week. You will be one of a group of interns working in various functions across the business. Like all our employees, you will participate in the life of our company (this includes the opportunity to attend company-wide gatherings, join the office book club, participate in educational sessions with industry experts, etc.), and you’ll benefit from perks including a discount on books ordered through our online store.
Competencies and knowledge you’ll bring to this role, and continue to build:
- Highly creative with a keen visual eye
- A strong interest in and awareness of art and graphic design, and an understanding of current trends in book design
- Excellent communication skills with meticulous attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and accurately complete multiple projects and tasks at the same time
- An effective and proactive approach to problem-solving
- An ability to work independently or collaboratively in a team
- An inclusive approach, supported by a cultural competency and a proven ability to collaborate with people from across a wide range of diverse backgrounds
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat, InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator is considered an asset
- General knowledge of preparing digital files for printing
- Enhanced knowledge, awareness, and experience with the culture and history of any community that has faced marginalization is considered a plus
- And of course, a love for books!
- We’d love to see a variety of your best work (ex: graphic design, art, illustration, typography)
- We encourage you to include publishing/book design-related work, if possible
- The ideal portfolio format is PDF
- Feel free to include a link to your website, if applicable
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however, we will only be contacting candidates selected for an interview.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.