Law Clerk – Insurance Defence
|Hiring Organization||Intact Insurance|
|Post Name||Law Clerk – Insurance Defence, Claims Legal|
|Qualification||College Diploma in a legal program (Paralegal, Law Clerk, Legal Office Administration) preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 26 To CAD 30 Per Hour|
|Location||Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 0A1|
From coast-to-coast, our inspiring colleagues are at the heart of what we do best: helping people, businesses and society prosper in good times and be resilient in bad times. With our team, you’ll bring this purpose to life every day by living our Values, being open to change, and pursuing your goals.
In return, we’ll give you countless opportunities to learn and grow, alongside a diverse and passionate community of experts – the best the industry has to offer. You’ll be empowered to be your best self, do your best work, and make a meaningful impact. Here, you can help shape the future of insurance, win as a team, and grow with us.
About the role
As a Law Clerk, you will play an integral role in the Claims Legal Department working closely with a team to provide clerking support for Insurance Defence – Accident Benefits and Tort files.
What you’ll do here:
- Manage legal practices
- Draft pleadings and LAT forms
- Review productions and provide Legal Counsel with a pre-discovery (or pre-hearing) list of further productions/documents/information to request from Legal Counsel
- All facets related to undertakings, including preparing the initial undertakings chart, corresponding with Legal Counsel to request undertakings, reviewing answers received to determine whether the undertaking is satisfied, drafting motion materials to compel answers to undertakings
- All aspects of arranging Independent Examinations, including retaining experts, and preparing briefs for experts
- Paperless briefing of files, for both Accident Benefits and Tort matters
- Summarizing documents, for both Accident Benefits and Tort matters
- Trial/Arbitration preparation
What you bring to the table:
- Strong document management skills with the ability to learn and utilize Intact’s various software programs, including iManage, Citrix, ACL, Nuance, and the Microsoft Office package of programs
- Ability to prioritize, organize and execute your tasks in a quality manner with a fast turnaround
- A desire to be a part of our #oneteam philosophy, supporting our Insureds, Adjusters, Claims Representatives, Law Clerks, Legal Assistants, and Lawyers, with a view to customer satisfaction and business continuity
- Excellent attention to detail and sound proofreading skills, ability to prioritize and organize
- Excellent communication, listening, organizational, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills, exercise sound judgment and take initiative
- Demonstrate a disciplined approach to work
- Comfort working in a paperless environment
- Have an excellent understanding of tort matters (including practice and procedures and the Ontario Rules of Civil Procedure), Accident Benefits (including SABs, LAT forms, and procedure), the Rules of Small Claims Court, and Practice Directions of the Ontario Superior Court of Justice
- Have experience in Insurance Defence Litigation, specifically as a Law Clerk
- College Diploma in a legal program (Paralegal, Law Clerk, Legal Office Administration) preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
Here are a few reasons why others have joined our team:
- An award-winning, inspiring workplace that supports its people and recognizes great work
- Stimulating, challenging projects and development opportunities to help you grow your skills and career
- A comprehensive financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- An extensive, flexible benefits package
- An industry-leading Employee Share Purchase Plan where we match 50% of net shares purchased
- A $350 annual wellness account that promotes an active lifestyle
What we offer
Working here means you’ll be empowered to be and do your best every day. Here is some of what you can expect as a permanent member of our team:
- A financial rewards program that recognizes your success
- With an industry-leading Employee Share Purchase Plan; we match 50% of net shares purchased
- An extensive flex pension and benefits package, with access to virtual healthcare
- Flexible work arrangements
- Possibility to purchase up to 5 extra days off per year
- An annual wellness account that promotes an active and healthy lifestyle
- Access to tools and resources to support physical and mental health, embracing change, and connecting with colleagues
- A dynamic workplace learning ecosystem complete with learning journeys, interactive online content, and inspiring programs
- Inclusive employee-led networks to educate, inspire, amplify voices, build relationships and provide development opportunities
- Inspiring leaders and colleagues who will lift you up and help you grow
- A Community Impact program, because what you care about is a part of what makes you different. And how you contribute to your community should be just as unique.
We are an equal opportunity employer
At Intact, we value diversity and strive to create an inclusive, accessible workplace where all individuals feel valued, respected, and heard.
If we can provide a specific adjustment to make the recruitment process more accessible for you, please let us know when we reach out about a job opportunity. We’ll work with you to meet your needs.
Click here to review other important information about the hiring process, including background checks, internal candidates, and eligibility to work in Canada.
If you are an employee of Intact, belairdirect, or Johnson Insurance, please apply for this role on Contact People.