Migration health nurse
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Migration Health Nurse
Duty Station : Warsaw, Poland
Classification : Ungraded estimated salary (PLZ 96,000 Per Annum)
Type of Appointment : Nine months, with high possibility of extension
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of
migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental
partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It
does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and External candidates
are eligible to apply to this vacancy.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) or Chief Migration Health Officer
(C MHO) and the direct supervision of the Chief Migration Health Officer (CMHO) or Chief
Migration Health Nurse (CMHN) or Senior Migration Health Nurse, the successful candidate
wi ll be responsible for the following duties and responsibilities in relation to the Migration
Health Assessment Centre (MHAC) in Warsaw, Poland:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Perform daily nursing activities in the Migration Health Assessment Clinic
(MHAC) to fulfil the technical requirements of the resettlement countries in the
a. Medical examinations,
i. Such as checking vital signs, weight, height, visual acuity;
ii. Blood, urine or sputum collection as required;
c. Laboratory testing;
e. TB management;
f. Treatment and referrals;
g. Pre-departure procedures and medical movements;
h. Documentation, certification and information transmission; and,
i. Other technical areas as may be required.
2. Provide information and detailed explanations to the migrants and/or refugees
in relation to:
- The migration health assessment process; and,
- Treatments and referrals.
3. Ensure proper identification and follow-up by:
- Comprehensive history taking;
- Accurate and thorough Biodata collection;
- Ensuring ID verification for each step of the health assessment
- Keeping a register of applicants who undergo health investigations and
4. Follow and implement the Health Assessment Programme’s check lists and
SOP’s and maintain standard universal precautions within MHAC.
5. Verify samples of sputum, blood or others are properly transported to the
laboratory or previously designated location.
6. Maintain and monitor the MHAC pharmacy, stock, medical kits and emergency
kits within the MHAC and for medical escorts if applicable.
7. Provide pre and/or post counselling to migrants or refugees on TB or HIV
education, prevention and management as appropriate.
8. Prepare administrative reports and program updates as necessary.
9. Support the planning and execution of mobile missions if applicable.
10. Assist with pre-departure documents, briefings and preparations as necessary.
11. Perform medical escort duties when required to ensure migrants receive
continued care throughout all phases of migration (before departure, during the
journey and at the final destination).
12. Maintain collaborative relationships with various partners to facilitate the follow
up and relevant information sharing. Partners include internal IOM
departments, other health providers, panel physicians, embassies other UN
agencies or NGO’s and others as applicable.
13. Collect statistical information and share with the Senior Migration Health Nurse
or CMHO as per preset and agreed upon format.
14. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Administration Management/ Medical Administration or a related
field from an accredited academic institution with at least two years of relevant working
- Secondary School Diploma with at least four years of relevant working experience
- Two years relevant professional experience, preferably in administrative support or
- Working with refugees/migrants in a medical setting is an advantage;
- Previous working experience with NGOs or international organizations is an
- Demonstrated accuracy in handling and reporting data.
- Strong computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet; past experience with Movement
- For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
- Working knowledge of Ukrainian, Russian and/or Polish is an advantage.
Inclusion & respect for diversity
- Celebrates diversity in all its forms
- Shows respect and sensitivity towards gender, culture, race and ethnicity, religion,
sexual orientation, political conviction and other differences.
- Encourages the inclusion of all team members and stakeholders while demonstrating
the ability to work constructively with people from different backgrounds and
- Promotes the benefits of diversity; values diverse points of view and demonstrates this
in daily work and decision making.
- Proactively addresses any prejudice, biases and intolerance in the workplace.
- Actively contributes to creating and maintaining a safe, harmonious, and respectful
working environment free from all forms of discrimination, harassment, (including
sexual harassment) and abuse of authority
Integrity & transparency
- Upholds and promotes the United Nations Charter, IOM’s Standards of Conduct and
Unified Staff Regulations and Rules.
- Delivers on commitments; manages the Organization’s resources honestly, reliably
- Embraces and encourages transparency, balancing this with the need for discretion
and confidentiality as appropriate.
- Maintains impartiality and takes prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical
- Does not abuse one’s position and acts without consideration of personal gain. Is
motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Respects the principle of independence and neither seeks, nor accepts, instructions
from Member States.
- Demonstrates professional competence, mastery of subject matter and a willingness
to improve knowledge and skills.
- Seeks to raise professional standards in oneself and others through daily work and
- Is cognizant that taking certain courses of action may threaten the reputation of the
- Shows self-control and persistence when faced with difficult problems; remains calm
in stressful situations.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and
- Has a commitment to professional development.
- Does the right thing, even in particularly challenging and difficult situations.
- Shows resilience and respect in the face of adversity.
- Is decisive and versatile when faced with uncertainty and adapts quickly to change.
Is prepared to take calculated risks to achieve the objectives of the Organization.
- Willing to speak up to protect others when misconduct or wrongdoing occurs.
- Is able to provide honest and constructive feedback to peers, direct reports or a
- Is able to stand in another person’s shoes and consider a situation from another
perspective, even if one doesn’t agree with it.
- Supports and relates to others; actively seeks to emotionally understand what
other people may be feeling.
- Is fully present when working with others, actively listening and engaging.
- Encourages collaboration through a willingness to consider multiple perspectives
- Establishes strong relationships with colleagues and partners; relates well to
people at all levels.
- Is fully aware of the team purpose, respects and understands individual and
- Willingly puts in extra effort without being asked and adopts a hands-on approach
whenever necessary to achieve team objectives.
- Coordinates own work with that of the team to meet agreed priorities and
- Produces quality results and provides quality services to Member States, donors,
beneficiaries, and counterparts (clients).
- Meets goals and timelines for delivery of products or services.
- Manages time and resources efficiently, monitoring progress and making
adjustments as necessary.
- Shows understanding of own role and responsibilities in relation to expected
Managing and Sharing Knowledge
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own field of competence and creates
opportunities for knowledge management initiatives.
- Shares knowledge and learning willingly, and proactively seeks to learn from the
experiences of others.4 Puts new learning into practice and draws on diverse sources of ideas and
- Contributes to the identification of improvements to work processes and assists in
- Accepts personal responsibility for quality and timeliness of work.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities within own role and honours commitments
to others and to the Organization.
- Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
- Accepts and gives constructive criticism; acknowledges and corrects mistakes and
applies lessons learned for improvement.
- Presents information using language and a sequence of ideas that is easy for
recipients to understand.
- Adapts communication to the recipient’s needs, asks questions to clarify, and
exhibits interest in having two-way communication.
- Encourages others to share their views, using active listening to demonstrate
openness and to build understanding of different perspectives.
- Listens carefully and genuinely to the views and positions of others; acts on
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment
and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where
To apply for this job please visit pl.indeed.com.