Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action
Fire Lookout Observer – Mt Hotham
We are seeking passionate individuals like you to become Fire Lookout Observers (FLO) in the Forest Fire Management Victoria (FFMV) Fire Lookout network.
As a Fire Lookout Observer, you’ll play a vital role in the early detection of fires across Victoria’s National Parks, State Forests, Protected Public Land and select private properties. Your sharp eyes and unwavering dedication will help protect our natural treasures from devastating blazes. You’ll be part of a dynamic team, interacting with departmental personnel, contractors and the local community.
Your primary focus will be detecting and monitoring fires, assessing their location, size, direction and behaviour. Your keen map reading skills and navigation expertise will be put to the test as you pinpoint ground locations, identify map references and locate fires using compass bearings and distance estimates.
Additionally, you may support emergency response and planned burning activities across multiple towers within your district.
Get ready for breathtaking views and a career-defining experience!
To excel in this role, you’ll need:
- A current Drivers Licence.
- Access to reliable transportation suitable to commute to and from various tower locations (4×4 preferred).
- Basic administration skills such as record keeping and data collection.
- Experience operating two-way radios and communications equipment (desirable).
- Map reading and navigation prowess, with the ability to identify ground locations and map references.
- Basic understanding of fire behaviour (desirable).
To apply for this job please visit au.indeed.com.