Customer Service Assistant
|Hiring Organization||Network Rail|
|Post Name||Customer Service Assistant|
|Employment Type||Full Time|
|Work Hours||8 Hours|
|Salary||GBP 21500 Per Month|
|Location||London, England, United Kingdom SE1 8ND|
About Network Rail
Are you looking to join an organization where you do meaningful work every day? As a Customer Service Assistant, you’ll be starting a rewarding career with Network Rail.
Our role is to run a safe, reliable, and efficient railway, serving customers and communities. We exist to get people and goods where they need to be and to support our country’s economic prosperity.
We’re an organization where people matter. We matter to millions.
You make all the difference…
Our 20 managed stations – including Birmingham New Street, Manchester Piccadilly, Edinburgh Waverley, Glasgow Central, Leeds, Bristol Temple Meads, and 11 in London – are Britain’s busiest and biggest stations.
They are vital to millions of people each year and as a Customer Service Assistant, you will play a key part in keeping our station services running smoothly and safely. Every day is varied, and it’s your ability to handle different situations that will help you shine.
About the role (External)
Your operational and people skills matter.
You’ll help keep our passengers and station services moving. As a customer service assistant, you’ll enjoy variety and lots of activity in your role – this really is a job where no two days are the same.
Our passengers and station users matter, and you’ll be out there to provide a safe, secure and positive station experience. Most days you’ll be covering significant distances across the station as you conduct security searches, monitor the station concourse, and help passengers during their station experience. You will spend most of the working day on your feet is highly visible to the customer. It’s your training and attention to safety and security that help keep our station users safe every day.
You’re able to build a good rapport with others, and your communications skills make all the difference with station users, retail staff, and your station colleagues. And you’ll always be thinking of a great customer experience as you provide help across the station.
This role also involves shift working (days, nights, and weekends) and you’ll be willing and able to work on a shift basis which means that you may be asked to cover a variety of shifts 365 days per year.
Your skills matter
You don’t need any rail experience, but you do need to show that you have transferable skills in the following areas:
- People focus – you’ll enjoy working in a role that requires you to deliver excellent customer experiences. You genuinely care about our customers and pride yourself on being able to build rapport with everyone, including our passengers and colleagues.
- Safety and security – our safety vision is everyone is home safe every day, and you’ll be able to demonstrate vigilance and safe behaviors. You’ll also have a good eye for detail, looking for anything that doesn’t look quite right. You’ll also need to be able to follow instructions, adhere to rules and ensure that others do the same.
- Communication – every day you’ll be helping passengers and working closely with colleagues, you’ll need to be able to communicate clearly (both written and verbal), warmly and concisely in English.
- Acting as one team – station operations depend on a high level of team working where you support each other to keep the station operating smoothly and safely. You’ll need to be someone that others can depend on – you are responsible and play your part.
- Staying calm under pressure – At times, you will be faced with stressful situations and you need to be someone who stays calm under pressure, even when faced with an angry passenger or emergencies such as station evacuations.
- Confident decision-making – your decisions affect our passengers and other station users. You’ll be able to show that you can make independent and informed decisions under pressure.
- Willingness and capacity to learn – there’s so much to learn and you’ll work with many people, processes, and equipment every day. You’ll be keen and able to keep learning every aspect of the role.
This role involves days, nights and weekends working and the job is crucial for the safe running of the railway and its passengers. Whilst a rostered working environment may look like a challenge to working parents, we have many amongst our London Euston team who find this to be of benefit, due to the structure and commitment of a planned weekly roster they can plan childcare effectively!
It’s also important for our candidates to be aware that whilst we do have high expectations of our customer service assistants with regard to the safety of our station and the passengers, we equip you to be as safe as you can possibly be in every possible scenario. As a Customer Service Assistant, you will deal with first aid incidents and be required to attend a first aid course.
Offers of employment are subject to the passing of the relevant medical assessment and BPSS pre-employment checks. Everyone matters in our diversity strategy. we will be an even more open, diverse, and inclusive organization that is better at reflecting the communities that we serve. By putting our passengers first, our strategy will help us to provide a more accessible and inclusive experience for you.
Safe behavior is a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should be able to demonstrate their awareness of our safety vision.
Salary and benefits:
- Salary £21,500, plus shift allowance
- Inner London Allowance of £3,2750 pro-rata
- Pro-rata annual leave entitlement
- My benefits – our discounted online shopping site
- A range of discounted offers including, childcare vouchers, healthcare offers – cycle to work, healthcare club discounted membership, and other benefits
- Subsidies of up to 75% on rail and underground season tickets
- A choice of contributory pension schemes
- 2 weeks of paid reserve leave for our Armed Forces community
We’re dedicated to creating an inclusive environment and we welcome applications from everyone! Network Rail is a Disability Confident Leader and we’ll try our best to adapt the process and offer a reasonable alternative to help support people with disabilities access, apply and interview for roles.