Legal Aid BC
Staff Lawyer, Parents Legal Centre
Who We Are:
Legal Aid BC (LABC) is a non-profit organization, to provide legal information, advice, and representation services to some of BC’s most vulnerable and marginalized citizens; those who do not have the financial, educational, social or health resources to effectively access the justice system when their families, freedom, or safety are at risk. Our vision is client-focused legal aid that ensures access to justice for all, with a mission to provide legal aid services that people need, and to promote better access to justice.
At LABC, we know that our continued ability to help the people who need us is due to the hardworking individuals who make up our team, dedicated to making a difference in the lives of people in need. We foster a positive culture of open communication for our team to thrive within, underpinned by our values of service, diversity, integrity, accountability, and leadership.
Legal Aid BC is committed to making equity, diversity, and inclusion part of everything we do. We need people from all backgrounds and experiences to help build the future of legal aid. We care deeply about the culture we are creating and are seeking staff that are not only strong in their own aptitudes but care deeply about supporting the people we serve and each other. If this sounds like you, please apply!
The Parents Legal Centre (PLC) takes a holistic approach early in the child protection process to help families stay together whenever appropriate. The PLC supports parents to resolve not only their legal matter but also the underlying non-legal issues, such as housing or addictions, which often contribute to protection concerns in the first place. The PLCs will have a focus on serving Indigenous people.
As the Staff Lawyer at the Parents Legal Centre (PLC), you will be part of a team consisting of a managing lawyer, staff lawyer(s), paralegal/advocate(s) and administrative legal assistant(s), working to assist parents with child protection matters to reach early collaborative resolutions where appropriate.
Reporting to the Managing Lawyer or Excluded Manager, this position works within the context of Legal Aid BC policies and is responsible for providing legal counsel and representation, including duty counsel, in the full range of family law practice including separation, divorce, custody/access, property division and child protection matters. This position works collaboratively with community advocates in developing legal services, programs and law reform. This position will work closely with Indigenous people and their communities with a sensitivity to cultural and Nation differences.
More About You
- A degree from a Law School of recognized standing and membership or eligibility for membership in the Law Society of British Columbia.
- Experience as per job posting year of call requirements, in general practice with an emphasis on family and child protection law.
- Experience supervising support staff.
- Experience at Provincial and Supreme Court levels involving the full range of family and child protection law issues.
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
A competitive annual salary, as well as a comprehensive benefits package (based on your employment status and affiliation) including:
- Four weeks paid vacation to start that grows the longer you are with LABC
- An excellent employee benefits package, where premiums are 100% paid by LABC
- A generous pension plan
- Support for training and development
- An Employee and Family Assistance program
- The opportunity to participate in various Employee programs (Employee Wellness, etc.)
- A healthy work/life balance
- Generous leave provisions (sick time, special leaves)
- 13 paid statutory holidays
- An opportunity for a flexible hybrid work arrangement for some positions (LABC reserves the right to change this policy at any time)
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.