London Health Sciences Centre
Health Information Coder
Full Job Description
The Health Information Coder performs detailed clinical analysis of inpatient, same day surgery, and ambulatory health records using the International Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems, Tenth Revision, Canada (ICD-10-CA) and the Canadian Classification of Health Interventions (CCI) diagnostic and intervention codes to facilitate resource planning, resource utilization, statistics, clinical research, and related audits.
The Health Information Coder works with three databases; Discharge Abstract Database (DAD) for inpatients, National Ambulatory Care Reporting System (NACRS) for day surgery, outpatient, and emergency encounters and Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) ambulatory care encounters.
The allocation of Case Mix Group Plus (CMG+) methodology, Resource Intensity Weight (RIW), Ontario-specific Health Based Allocation Model (HBAM) Inpatient Group (HIG) Weight, Comprehensive Ambulatory Classification System (CACS-ON), Quality Based Procedures (QBP) and Management Information Systems (MIS) Functional Centres optimize potential for LHSC funding from the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MoHLTC),while operating within the parameters of the national clinical database guidelines and standards of the Canadian Institute of Health Information (CIHI), as well as directives from the MoHLTC. These results are also used for the purposes of benchmarking against other teaching hospitals.
Rate of Pay: $25.58 per hour – $31.97 per hour
Hours of Work: 37.5 hours per week
- Successful completion of a two (2) year diploma in Health Information Management
- Currently Certified with the Canadian Health Information Management Association (CHIMA)
- Member in good standing with CHIMA
- Minimum up to one-year recent related job experience
- Recent inpatient coding experience preferred
- Demonstrated detailed knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathology and medical terminology
- Demonstrated understanding of CIHI indices and comparative reports
- Demonstrated thorough understanding of the complicated funding formulas involving QBP’s, CMG, CACS, HIG, RIW
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of 3M Codefinder software and Folio (ICD-10-CA, CCI)
- Demonstrated proficiency with Cerner, PowerChart, 3M Health Data Management (HDM) Abstracting System
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer programs such as MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, Access and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated basic knowledge of 3M Report Writer and Clinical Documentation Improvement Software
- Demonstrated meticulous accuracy and attention to detail skills
- Demonstrated exemplary communication skills, both written and oral
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to work independently and as an effective team member
- Demonstrated problem solving and decision making skills
- Demonstrated organization and time management skills
- Demonstrated flexibility and ability to manage change
- Demonstrated practice and commitment to the principles of patient and family centered care
- Demonstrated practice and commitment to patient and staff safety at LHSC
- Demonstrated practice and commitment to LHSC’s Mission, Vision and Values
- Demonstrated ability to attend work on a regular basis
- Provide vaccination records or proof of immunity against measles, mumps, rubella and varicella (chicken pox), Hepatitis B, Tetanus/ Diphtheria/Polio; Meningitis.
- Provide documentation of the Tuberculosis skin testing (two step) and COVID vaccine series.
- For more information visit https://www.lhsc.on.ca/careers/health-review-requirements
We are committed to providing a safe, healthy and inclusive work environment that inspires respect. LHSC is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQ2+ persons. We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities and standards of goods and services, and are also fully compliant with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), as applicable.
As part of the assessment process applicants may be required to complete a written examination or test. Please be advised that a reference check may be conducted as part of the selection process.
Your interest in this opportunity is appreciated. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Successful candidates, as a condition of job offer, would be required to provide a satisfactory police information check (original document) completed in the last 3 months.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.