Home and Community Care Support Services
Social Worker (MSW)
Champlain Home and Community Support Services is one of 14 Home and Community Support Services agencies in Ontario. We are committed to providing the best services and health care to more than 64,000 patients each year, at home, in the community and in schools. Our patient care coordination teams help develop care plans for residents of all ages that focus on maintaining each patient’s independence and dignity. We also provide long-term care home placement services and help patients get the community services they need.
The social worker determines whether patients require social work services, recommends and participates in the development of programs to meet identified needs, and provides counseling and social work services to patients requiring these services.
- Provide social work services to referred patients and their families, including psychosocial needs assessment services. Refer patients and their families to community agencies as needed.
- Establish treatment goals based on identified issues and determine ways to achieve these goals in consultation with the Care Coordinator.
- Ensure patient records are opened and maintained, including treatment, in accordance with established guidelines and best practices.
- Ensure that identified social needs are recognized and met by recommending guidelines and resources and participating in their development.
- Establish and maintain links with other health and social service providers.
- Serve on committees as approved.
- Interpret the role and goals of the LHIN’s social work services program in the community and relevant organizations.
- Participate in professional development activities and maintain current knowledge and skills in social work.
- Identify gaps in community social services that affect the psychosocial functioning of patients and their families and help improve the services offered.
Studies and experience:
- Master of Social Work and valid certificate of registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- Relevant professional experience normally acquired over a period of two years in a similar position (social worker)
- Certificate in RCR-C
- Experience providing rehabilitation services to patients after stroke is an asset.
- Relevant experience in a similar community setting is an asset.
- Knowledge of medical, cognitive and psychiatric disorders
- Knowledge of the healthcare system and the role of the Champlain SSDMC within the system
- Knowledge of Champlain SSDMC quality, risk and performance management activities and principles
- Knowledge of evidence-based practices for stroke rehabilitation.
- Knowledge of relevant healthcare laws
- Knowledge of Champlain SSDMC policies, procedures, strategic direction and objectives
- Understanding of Champlain SSDMC partners and contracted service providers in the community
Skills and competences:
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with diverse groups of patients whose level of understanding and language abilities may vary
- Strong ability to handle difficult conversations and situations in a healthy and effective manner
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team and independently
- Effective communication skills to establish and maintain a wide range of contacts with professionals and organizations within the community
- Strong customer service skills
- Effective listener and strong facilitation skills to be able to work with the patient and their family, caregivers and substitute decision maker, if applicable, and ensure the patient gets the best possible service
- Ability to provide information effectively in a variety of settings, including individually and in team meetings, and assist in making presentations and providing information about the Champlain SSDMC social work services program
- Good planning and organizational skills to manage numerous patients, provide information reports and take corrective action as needed
- Ability to accurately prepare/complete required documents, reports and forms, and make recommendations
- Working knowledge of computers (email, internet) and Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- A valid driver’s license and access to a motorized vehicle are required.
- Valid N95 mask fit test results or documentation of a medical exception within the last two years
- Vulnerable Sector Check completed within the last six months
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.