Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Manager – Trial Office
Title: Manager – Trial Office
Department: Labor Relations
Hay Point Evaluation: 634
Salary Range: $86,502/$113,534
Position Classification: Non-Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Senior Manager – Departmental Labor Relations
This is a Non-Represented Position.
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
Note: If you already applied to posting #102325 within the last 12 months there is no need to re-apply as your application is already under review.
This position is responsible for leading and carrying out disciplinary investigations, drafting of disciplinary charges, negotiating settlement/pre-trial waiver agreements, preparing witnesses for trials/hearings, conducting official trials/hearings, and providing efficient and timely direction to departmental management with respect to progressive discipline and/or agency-wide standards that must be consistent throughout the LIRR. The position is also responsible for analyzing data and preparing monthly and annual reports with respect to employee discipline, providing management training, and special projects as assigned.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for planning, leading and directing the activity of trial procedures for all LIRR Departments.
- Conduct primary investigation in order to assess whether charges are warranted.
- Act as front-line resource for managers seeking guidance on potential disciplinary matters.
- Responsible for the Administration support of all documentation for Board Procedures to ensure proper representation for LIRR.
- Act as liaison to between Labor Relations and other departments for issues resulting from trials/discipline.
- Conduct investigations, when appropriate, into potential violations of corporate policy by management.
- Responsible for all special assignments as designated by Deputy Chief Labor Relations Officer, such as ad hoc reports on discipline, investigatory analysis and recommendations.
- Conduct training for the Assistant Manager – Trial Office and others on the LIRR practices and procedures when running disciplinary hearing.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals. Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential. Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Sr. Management.
-Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Labor Relations or related field of study, a minimum of approximately 5 – 7 years of professional experience in any combination of the following areas: labor relations, employee relations, management, administration and operations in a union environment.
- Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval
- Must possess prior supervisory experience.
- Must possess a minimum of two years’ experience in administering labor contracts and/or conducting trials and investigations.
- Must possess detailed knowledge of labor agreements and negotiations.
- Must possess knowledge of trial procedures and have the ability to run trials for LIRR operating departments.
- Must possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills and must have the ability to handle conflicts
- Must have ability to build and maintain effective relationships with unions and management.
- Must possess strong judgment skills and must have ability to objectively assess all personnel and labor issues.
- Must possess strong multi-tasking skills with the ability to effectively manage multiple activities simultaneously.
- Must possess a demonstrated ability to work under pressure.
- Must be a self-starter and possess the ability to make decisions and work with integrity.
- Must possess strong analytical, research and problem solving skills.
- Must possess good computer skills including working knowledge of MS Word and Excel.
- Master’s Degree in Labor Relations or related field is preferred (may be substituted for some years of experience).
- Juris Doctorate Degree is preferred (may be substituted for some years of experience)
- Knowledge of LIRR corporate policies and procedures.
- Basic knowledge of FRA (Federal Railroad Administration), OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) & LIRR Safety Regulations.
- Qualification or knowledge of the LIRR Book of Rules and Physical Characteristics
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety-sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.