Art Director, Games Studio
Los Angeles, California
Netflix Games Studio
We’re looking for a creative and highly-skilled Art Director to help us forge the artistic vision on a brand-new unpublished AAA game. As Art Director, you will define the look of a new game and work on all aspects of art to guide a prototype on the path to production. Most importantly, you will work with a fun, dedicated, and passionate cross-discipline team. The right candidate will bring industry-leading craft expertise and attention to detail to generate conceptual and in-game artwork that is emotionally resonant, iconic, and full of heart. You are as capable of rolling up your sleeves and getting your hands dirty creating art, as you are defining and carrying the artistic vision for the product and leading your team of artists.
We’re building the foundation for a small, but ambitious team of creators. We’re looking for that group of key leaders who are aligned with our core values, and care deeply about the experiences they create as well as the people they make them with. Those who bias towards action and are energized by the learning that comes with bold experimentation at an agile pace. As a part of Netflix, we strive to hire the best and value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusion, and collaboration.
Now is an amazing time to join Netflix as we seek to entertain the world. We have over 200 million paid members in over 190 countries, and we won’t stop there.
- Define the look of the project, unique art style, and key visual differentiation
- Iterate on the core game concept, bringing to bear visual design and artistic considerations
- Define the art team structure, identifying roles and responsibilities for sub-disciplines including Animation, Concept Art, Character, Environment and Technical Art
- Iterate on the full project plan, informing timelines and deliverables through key art milestones
- Develop milestones for the art team through clear direction and sustainable scoping
- Define the art content development workflows, partnering with technical resources to enable efficient asset creation pathways
- Work in lock-step with the rest of the core team leadership (TD/GD/AD/PD) to maintain and achieve the vision of the game
- Serve as a craft leader and elevate other artists’ work to meet the studio quality bar
- Establish style guides and specs required to define and document the art direction of the project
- Potentially manage the relationships of any external art contractors
- Help grow, mentor, and guide the team, including directly managing art team members
- Develop inspirational concept pieces that convey setting, tone, mood, and feel
- Champion and evolve an artistic vision and shared visual language to unify environments, characters, game features, etc. into a cohesive overall experience
- Conceptualize in-game ideas quickly throughout early discovery
- Craft detailed, easy to interpret concepts that guide 3D artists, and other teammates, towards successful implementation in-game
- Block-in 3D art during rapid prototyping and pre-production exploration
- Help solve gameplay, clarity, and aesthetic problems with concept crits and paintovers, visual mockups, and storyboards
- Create and maintain a world-class team of artists, guiding them towards incredible performance and purposeful growth
- Work with game designers to understand and fulfill the needs of gameplay
- Work with engineers to understand constraints and maximize visual quality and fidelity while meeting technical requirements
- Collaborate with teammates by providing and receiving creative/team feedback, plus’ing others’ creative contributions, and providing clear creative goals with intentionally desired outcomes
The Ideal Candidate
- At least 10 years of game art production experience, including experience in an art leadership role
- Has shipped multiple games in an art-focused role: concept, character, environment, illustration, world-building, etc.
- Proven track record of delivering clear and consistent visual feedback that elevates other artists’ work
- Thrives as a member of a cross-functional multidisciplinary team
- Communicates with authenticity, intention, and curiosity
- Gets excited by learning new skills, dashing to pitch in, even if this means flexing beyond this role’s core responsibilities if it can help us win
- Plays broadly across multiple games of varied genres
- Works effectively offsite on shared projects
- Has hands-on experience with shipped titles on Unreal Engine 4; Has been working with the latest release of Unreal Engine 5
- Has worked extensively in the early concept and prototyping phase of development
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.