The Operations Director has Canadian responsibility and is accountable for successfully leading the critical support functions that make up the operations of assigned location(s); including Quality Assurance, Warehousing, Customer Service, Purchasing and Logistics.
In addition, the Operations Director will analyze and implement safety/regulatory, operational, and strategic initiatives to deliver continuous improvement driving business success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Safety, Quality, and Regulatory
- Provide functional leadership in the areas of safety, quality, and regulatory compliance
- Participate in corporate regulatory and safety committees and ensure compliance throughout the assigned division
- Review quality procedures and processes, identify opportunities for continuous improvement and help support and lead initiatives where necessary
- Oversight on operating facilities to ensure compliance to all standards and a safe and clean work environment
- Provide ongoing review of operational risks to develop effective mitigation strategies
- Active industry association participant (e.g. Responsible Distribution)
- Collaborate with Global Animal Nutrition operations teams
- Provide leadership and overall management for Quality Assurance, Customer Service, Purchasing, Logistics, and Warehouse departments delivering targeted levels of service at expected operating cost
- Execute and support Animal Nutrition operations metrics to achieve overall objectives, consistent with corporate practices
- Participate in budget planning, forecasting and management of both OPEX and CAPEX including but not limited to staffing, production assets, labor, rent, transportation, etc.
- Responsible for ensuring the effective management of direct and third-party service providers facilitating distribution service in compliance with local regulatory requirements and the quality management system across the company’s supply chain
- Identify, develop, and implement departmental strategic plan in concert with Animal Nutrition leadership team
- Lead by example supporting and reinforcing the Company’s culture, pillars and fundamentals
- Improve logistics, warehouse, and production operations for the Animal Nutrition vertical and share best practices throughout the Company
- Work with Operations teams to resolve non-conformances, including but not limited to claims, handling issues, personnel issues, etc.
- Identify and implement improved inventory management practices
- Facilitate positive and effective interaction between all departments to improve communications, efficiencies, and our ability to Create Customer Success ®
- Monitor metrics, analyze trends, and implement continuous improvement initiatives
- Participate in ongoing personal development opportunities to stay current with topics related to production, quality assurance, workplace safety, logistics, project management and leadership
- Generate reports as needed for analysis on performance, inventory, costing, sales/GP, etc.
- Participate in various projects individually and/or team based as a representative of Operations
- Work with the HR Team to identify and recruit for necessary resources, tools and/or people to achieve departmental objectives
- Conduct regularly scheduled performance reviews with direct reports to provide ongoing feedback and make recommendations/support ongoing career and personal development
- Review IT systems and procedures with the Systems Director for NA, to optimize efficiencies related to areas within scope of responsibility
- Serve as a “power user” of our ERP, BI tools, OverDrive, TMS and other software tools with the ability to support existing staff and help onboard new leadership
- Ensure adherence to all systemic processes and champion implementation of any future systemic enhancements or changes
- Previous experience in operations management (10+ years) in production, distribution, warehousing, or operations with direct responsibility for professional department managers and large teams
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field required; post-graduate degree or certificate in quality operations is preferred
- Previous regulatory and/or safety experience a plus, especially in the chemical industry
- Strategic mindset, highly solutions focused with strong leadership skills
- Demonstrates organizational, interpersonal, communication, presentation, written, verbal and negotiation skills
- Must be self-motivated, possess high energy, and an engaging level of enthusiasm and positive outlook
- Strong software knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, Excel and Power Point
- Highly technical with expertise in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems
- Can adapt to change and shifting priorities easily; Change management experience preferred
- Will act legally and ethically in all professional relationships in adherence with Barentz’ culture, values and fundamentals
- Effective at building strong relationships, with exceptional coaching skills
- Ability and desire to work in a team environment
- Must be able to effectively prioritize work assignments for self and others
- Proven ability to resolve potential conflicts and develop others
About Pestell Nutrition
Pestell Nutrition is a leading distributor of specialty ingredients in the North American animal nutrition market. We supply our customers with high-quality nutritional additives and ingredients for the animal nutrition and pet food industries.
We have used our technical expertise to help our customers create and deliver nutritional solutions for high performance across Canada and the U.S. Pestell Nutrition is specialized in the global sourcing and supply of Feed Additives, Nutritional Ingredients, Macro and Trace Minerals, Pet Specialty Ingredients, and Ag Products.
Pestell Nutrition joined forces with Barentz to lead the Animal Nutrition vertical for North America.
Barentz is a world class supplier of life science ingredients and specialty chemicals focused on improving the quality and length of life. We provide products that help our customers meet their formulary needs and achieve sustainability goals. We strive to change the conversation by creating value for our customers in a diverse range of end markets by providing technical and regulatory support and offering unique and creative solutions.
Our business leverages an infrastructure of industry leading technology, value-add services, global sourcing & logistics network, and a commitment to creating customer success. This philosophy has enabled Barentz to offer its customers and principal partners with North American capabilities while maintaining a local focus. Every day, we strive to deliver fantastic customer experiences.
Barentz offers a competitive salary in addition to a positive and collaborative corporate culture. We believe in developing people as well as growing our business and make this philosophy a priority. Working at Pestell Nutrition, a part of Barentz, provides the opportunity to be a part of a progressive industry leader committed to expanding our product offering, building our capabilities, and growing our business.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.