Public Health Ontario
About the job
We are always looking for talented Health Analysts to fill our contract positions. If you are interested in being considered for future opportunities we encourage you to apply now!
The Health Analyst will provide a range of data collection, collation, and analyses to support the data needs of the team, department, PHO, and stakeholders.
- Maintains electronic access to data holdings, information systems and appropriate interfaces to ensure an organized and clean file structure of the PHO’s large datasets.
- Writes and executes computer programs for data extraction, data set creation and analysis using spreadsheets and statistical software packages (e.g., Excel, SAS).
- Conducts the routine analysis of large data sets for the interpretation and production of basic population health assessment and surveillance reports.
- Analyzes, interprets and reports health data using appropriate methods in response to inquiries from within PHO and external stakeholders.
- Prepares and disseminates health status and surveillance information in various formats including reports, charts, graphs and maps.
- Provides support during outbreak investigations, including database development, data management, data quality and regular reporting, as needed.
- Supports Department’s data quality assurance efforts through the application of proven analytical approaches to identify errors or limitations in the data and to improve data validity.
- Maintains contact with database and analysis experts within the broader public health system to keep up to date in the area of data quality, data management and analysis and related technologies.
- Works with the epidemiologists and others on the team to assist in developing data set creation plans and analysis plans which require access to different public health data holdings.
- Completes program and project documentation according to applicable standards and guidelines.
- Contributes to the ongoing development of standard operation procedures for data set creation, analysis and reporting.
- Contributes to the identification of optimum methods for analysis and assists in the interpretation of data.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills-
- Skilled in the use of data sets, spreadsheets and databases using software such as Excel, Cognos ReportNet (CRN) and SAS.
- Familiarity with public health information systems such as the Integrated Public Health Information System (iPHIS) and ability to work with large data sets and utilize a range of information systems.
- Knowledge of population health indicators, epidemiological concepts, public health research, statistical analysis, health analytic methods, and techniques to analyze data, including trend analysis, and ability to work with content experts to define their data needs would be an asset.
- Knowledge of stakeholder groups, ability to build public health, research, academic, institutional, and professional networks; and working at the local, provincial/territorial, and/or federal levels would be an asset.
- Knowledge of, and skills in effective time management methods and techniques to plan, develop data set creation and analysis plans for projects.
- Knowledge of current public health issues related to enteric, zoonotic and vector-borne diseases.
Education And Experience-
- Bachelor’s degree in health sciences, biostatistics or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of database design, health analytics, and public health methods and data analysis techniques with approximately 2 years of experience in the collection, collation, analysis and interpretation of health data.
Attributes and Competencies-
- Effective oral communication to discuss detailed data and analytic needs in response to enquiries regarding health data and related information systems from management and staff across the PHO.
- Written communication skills to respond to data requests and prepare summary statistical analyses based on data findings.
- Ability to work within the parameters of existing protocols for data manipulation, analysis, storage and privacy protection.
- Proficiency in determining the appropriate syntax within statistical program (i.e. SAS) necessary to develop and undertake queries and problem solve or troubleshoot when syntax or software is not performing.
- Identifies which of the range of available data sets are best used to access and manipulate in order to meet data needs.
- Interpretation information needs into analytical procedures.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.