- Full Time
- Toronto, ON, Canada
Public Health Ontario
Public Health Physician
This position offers the opportunity to support the scientific and technical work of the Health Protection Department within PHO by providing subject matter expertise and leadership on a broad scale. This contract position will be part of the physician complement within the Health Protection Department and will report to the Public Health Physician Lead, Medical & System Support. Along with the other physicians and staff within Medical & System Support, this position will work in a collaborative manner to provide medical and technical support to the managers and staff of Health Protection and to public health partners. The successful candidate will gain hands-on experience at the provincial agency level which will provide them with valuable personal and professional development opportunities.
- Provide specialized advice and expertise to Health Protection staff members, our stakeholders or directly to public health partners.
- Provide specialized input to ongoing communicable disease, including surveillance activities and immunization issues, and provide scientific leadership to the investigation and control of communicable disease outbreaks when PHO input is requested or required.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of Health Protection initiatives, including providing oversight for selected Health Protection-led projects, such as research projects, surveillance initiatives, resource material development, educational sessions etc.
- Provide epidemiologic, scientific and medical expertise to the department and assist with program evaluations.
- Ensure that the scientific and technical advice provided to public health partners is of the highest quality and relevance.
- Take a lead role in the scientific contributions to ongoing updates/revisions to relevant infectious disease / immunization protocols and guidance documents.
- Supervise and mentor Public Health and Preventive Medicine residents and other trainees as required.
- Represent PHO, promoting our mandate and strategic initiatives through presentations at meetings, conferences and other activities. In so doing, the position will serve as a bridge to enhance connections between the Health Protection Department and PHO with public health partners.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Expert knowledge of communicable diseases, emergency preparedness, immunizations and epidemiologic principles.
- Proficient use of technology including word processing, spreadsheets and presentation applications
- Knowledge of the Ontario public health system and key partners an asset.
Education and Experience:
- Must be licensed to practice medicine in Ontario or eligible for licensure in Ontario.
- Fellowship in Public Health and Preventive Medicine. Other suitably qualified physicians with post graduate training in public health will also be considered.
- A minimum of three to five years of experience in public health, after completion of residency is preferred. Preferentially in the communicable / vaccine preventable disease area, emergency preparedness or related areas of practice.
- It is expected that the successful candidate will have or shall obtain an academic appointment at an appropriate university.
- Newly certified physicians from Royal College Public Health and Preventive Medicine postgraduate programs will also be considered.
Attributes and Competencies:
- Proven diplomacy and interpersonal skills with a track record in developing partnerships and working within multi-disciplinary teams and facilitating meetings.
- Strong written and oral communications skills, organizational skills and critical thinking skills.
Job Types: Full-time, Fixed term contract
Contract length: 12 months
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Toronto, ON
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.