Graduate Software Engineer
Starling’s mission is to build a fairer, smarter, and more humane alternative to traditional banks.
We are a fast-moving, disruptive technology company with an inspiring female founder, a best-in-class product, and a commitment to the environment.
We’ve surpassed 2 million accounts and £5 billion in deposits, and we’re just getting started.
Now it’s your turn to join our mission. As a graduate working at Starling, we will help you learn and develop as an engineer by getting you to work on real-world problems our amazing engineers are solving on a daily basis! Starling is an engineer-led company where you will release code that touches millions of customers from day one and builds products that change the world for the better.
As a Software Engineer at Starling you will:
- Contribute to our award-winning platform and internal tooling
- Build new features and products from scratch
- Be able to see the impact that your work has on the lives of our millions of customers
- Share your knowledge with those around you, contributing to our learning culture
- Own your projects, working in small teams across the bank to collaboratively deliver
- Aim for greatness in everything you do, staying curious and inquisitive
- Be part of a scaling team and organization as we change banking for good
Tech we use:
At Starling, we use a variety of different tools and technologies to keep our app and business running smoothly. Whether you’re aiming to be front-end, back-end, or a bit of both – we have a host of things in our tech stack that you would have the opportunity to learn and work with. Here are some examples:
We’re open-minded when it comes to hiring and we care more about aptitude and attitude than specific experience. For our graduate intake, you will need to be a recent university graduate who is ready to start a full-time position.
Interviewing is a two-way process and we want you to have the time and opportunity to get to know us, as much as we are getting to know you! Our interviews are conversational and we want to get the best from you, so come with questions and be curious. Our aim is to meet a mixture of different people & teams throughout the process.
In general, you can expect the following:
- Take-home tech test (can be solved in any language you are comfortable with) ~3 hours (if you would feel more comfortable doing a live coding task face-face with the team, we can offer this as an alternative to the tech task which will be combined with the technical interview).
- Phone chat with an engineer ~30 mins
- Technical face-to-face interview ~1hr 30 mins
- Final Interview (normally done on the same day as the face-to-face) ~40 minutes
- We are looking for engineers who are located within a commutable distance of either our London, Cardiff, Southampton, or Dublin offices.
- We are operating a hybrid model of working but in-person learning and collaboration are key for us too
- Your first few weeks will be in person with other graduates so you can collaborate and get to know each other and your teams
- 25 days holiday (plus take your public holiday allowance whenever works best for you)
- An extra day’s holiday for your birthday
- Annual leave is increased with the length of service, and you can choose to buy or sell up to five extra days off!
- 16 hours of paid volunteering time a year
- Salary sacrifice, the company enhanced pension scheme
- Life insurance at 4x your salary
- Private Medical Insurance with VitalityHealth including mental health support and cancer care. Partner benefits include discounts with Waitrose, Mr&Mrs Smith, and Peloton
- Generous family-friendly policies
- Perkbox membership gives access to retail discounts, a wellness platform for physical and mental health, and weekly free and boosted perks
- Access to initiatives like Cycle to Work and Salary Sacrificed Gym partnerships
Starling is a leading digital bank on a mission to disrupt the banking industry.
We’ve surpassed 2 million accounts, including over 350,000 business accounts. Our total deposits, meanwhile, have topped £5 billion and we have lent over £2bn over the same period. We’re a fully licensed UK bank, and we have the culture and spirit of a fast-moving, disruptive technology company. We’ve won the Best British Bank award four years running, and now employ over 1500 people across our London, Southampton, Cardiff & Dublin offices.
Starling Bank is an equal-opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster diversity & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment at Starling Bank are considered without regard to race, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
By submitting your application, you agree that Starling Bank may collect your personal data for recruiting and related purposes. Our Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over our use of your personal information.
To apply for this job please visit www.linkedin.com.