High School Science and Math Teacher
|Hiring Organization||Westmont Montessori School|
|Post Name||High School Science and Math Teacher|
|Qualification||Bachelor of Education (Specialization in Secondary Science and/or Math) and current BC Teachers Certification|
|Employment Type||Part Time|
|Work Hours||4 Hours|
|Salary||CAD 30 To CAD 40 Per Hour|
|Location||Victoria, British Columbia, Canada V9C 4A4|
What We Believe
Our mission is to identify the experiences that facilitate education for the future before us. One that empowers the individual and fosters a community of collaborative contributors through interdisciplinary, integrated projects that make the world our classroom.
We choose to be an independent organization so we can remain nimble and able to adopt and adapt new programs as our community needs them. Our autonomy gives us the freedom to partner with innovators and experts as we identify new areas of interest for our students and new opportunities to learn from some of the most interesting people and organizations in the world.
Westmont was founded 67 years ago by an independent community of parents and teachers passionate about creating an environment that inspired students to learn through experiences and respect the individual and their own interests, developmental needs, and speeds, following the principles of Maria Montessori.
Year by year we have expanded and evolved the school to meet the needs of our community and have adapted our programs based on the changing world around us.
Over time we have embraced more technology in the classroom to connect students to virtual experiences while simultaneously embracing more time out of the classroom to learn in the natural environments that exist in the 143 acres of forest, streams, and oceanfront that our 8-acre campus backs on.
We have adopted technology as it has evolved to connect our community and create dialogue and transparency around how we operate as an organization. Throughout this constant change, however, one thing has stayed constant, our culture and closeness as a community. People often tell us we feel more like a group of family and friends than an institution of teachers and administrators.
The Westmont Montessori community includes around 270 students and 55 teachers and staff housed in three buildings on our campus. We are guided by our strategic plan and active Board, and supported by a vibrant PAC and engaged, family volunteers.
In recent years, we have built our landmark main building, expanded our lower and middle school programs, and introduced a High School program recognized as exceptional by the BC Ministry of Education. This year, we are expanding our High School program and redeveloping the High School building while continuing to deliver an exceptional learning experience to our students.
Westmont is looking for confident, independent, and entrepreneurial individuals who can bring experience and leadership to the position of High School Science and Math Teacher. This is an extraordinary teaching assignment and an extraordinary program that has the ambition of transforming the high school experience for students.
As a member of our High School teaching team, you will have the opportunity to work in a dynamic and growing workplace as we seek to become a leader in experiential learning. You will be assigned the responsibility of leading Grade 9-12 students in experiential learning projects both on and off-campus, integrating the areas of Science and Math with other curricular topics
With the bold educational approach our school is taking, the opportunities for professional growth are immense. The school is led by dynamic professionals and a seasoned external advisory group who can mentor and guide you in your teaching role.
Responsibilities and Skills
- Developing and fine-tuning multi-disciplinary curricular documents including year, project, and daily lesson plans
- Integrating and working with community partners in creating experiences that are academically robust and provide real-world context and application of knowledge
- Locating, developing, and managing external mentors to support student learning
- Focus on academic excellence with strong integration of curricular, core competency, and First Nations Principles of Learning
- Leading students in educational experiences in non-classroom settings e.g., local and national excursions, outdoor education programming
- Approach high school in a non-traditional manner, embracing various modes of learning
- Embracing the role of the teacher as a guide versus a distributor of knowledge
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with all stakeholders- students, staff, parents
- Exceptional technology and 21st Century Learning skills including a high level of proficiency using Microsoft Teams and Office365
- A desire to work in a team-oriented learning environment
- Fully committed to providing a broad range of extra-curricular activities
- Highly skilled in formative and summative assessment and reporting of student progress
- Ability to utilize varied instructional strategies to meet a wide range of individual needs
- Comfortable instructing in both an in-person and remote learning environment
- Due to the nature of the program, there may be occasions where you will be required to spend up to a week away on overnight school trips
- Bachelor of Education (Specialization in Secondary Science and/or Math) and current BC Teachers Certification
- Several years of secondary school teaching experience
- Montessori training in secondary preferred. Candidates without will be considered with the expectation that training is undertaken if employment is to continue beyond the first contract year.
- Commitment to ongoing professional growth
- Current First Aid Certificate
Compensation and Benefits
- Westmont salaries are paid out at 80% of Sooke District #62 Grid based on qualifications and experience
- Half-time (o.5 FTE), Permanent
- Group RRSP
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- Staff tuition discount