The Bishop Strachan School
Jump to: Hide
Summary of Position:
The Vocal Teacher is passionate about their subject area and actively seeks the opportunity for interdisciplinary and real-world connections. They will work with faculty and students to help further develop their vocal and choral choir music skills, and prepare for school performances.
- Leads our Senior School choral choir with performances like the annual Nativity play, Festival of Carols and more.
- Prepare lesson plans, outlines and assessments using inquiry and problem-based learning that engages students, challenges them, and meets the subject-specific outcomes and expectations
- Ability to differentiate lesson plans based on the needs of your students
- Initiates, coordinates and/or co-constructs performance opportunities including showcase for the community, chapels and assemblies
- Ensures the curriculum is aligned with Ministry of Education expectations, and with the BSS Culture of Powerful Learning
- Participate in co-curricular activities including coaching, clubs, trips and participating in the school community as a whole
- Engage in interdisciplinary initiatives particularly between humanities and social sciences
- Make contributions that productively support the overall well-being and growth of students
- Incorporates technology in the music classes (i.e. GarageBand, iMovie, midi keyboards, etc.)
- Communicate effectively with parents about all aspects of the overall program and the individual learning of each student
- Embeds diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging values into all activities
Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- Must have an Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) certificate
- Experience directing a senior school choral choir
- Are qualified to each in Junior/Intermediate and/or Intermediate/Senior
- Must be able to teach at least two of the three areas; Vocal, Strings, Instrumental
- Have experience with co-curricular programs and formal performances
- A passion for aligning educational research with classroom practice
- Strong technology skills and proficiency in Google Suite
- Commitment to, and passion for, furthering the work of the school, an Inquiry-based approach to learning , and girls’ education
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the proven ability to develop relationships and a caring rapport with students and their families, and with teachers
- Commitment to participate as a collaborative member in all aspects of the school and in school life
- A growth mindset of continuous improvement and learning
- Culturally competent with a positive attitude toward cultural uniqueness, as well as a readiness to accept and respect others
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment for your students, with families and your colleagues.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.