Transport for London
Road Activity Manager
Full Job Description
Location : Palestra
Circa £57,000 plus excellent benefits
The closing date for applications is 16th May 2023 @ 23:59 hours
These are exciting opportunities acting as the lead on a borough partnership as part of our Network Operating Strategy. You’ll build and maintain effective relationships which supports the Mayors Transport Strategy and the delivery of an efficient road network in London.
You’ll manage key internal and external stakeholders along with our borough partners to mitigate the delay caused by roadworks. This will involve working with technical specialists to identify mitigation opportunities and the sharing of essential datasets. A key objective of this post is to reduce bus delay across all road networks in their area, by working with boroughs to improve customers journeys.
You’ll be a visible point of contact both internally and externally demonstrating a political awareness of the London Borough’s within their remit and the sensitivities associated with them, whilst developing a detailed understanding of the area’s road network resilience so they can support faster bus journeys.
- Make informed and effective works coordination decisions taking into account specialist assessments of the impacts and timings of all works, and the traffic management plans provided by works promoters. (local authorities/buses representatives)
- Work direct with multiple London Boroughs, as part of the Network Operating Strategy, to reduce the impact of roadworks
- Assist in building and maintaining positive working relationships with stakeholders to influence the mitigation and coordination of 400,000 roadworks applications each year and enable a 1mph average improvement in bus speed.
- Reducing bus disruption caused by works, through assisting with monitoring (sharing good practices/information) and driving improvements of all works promoters
- Accountable for cross-boundary borough coordination of the team and ensure a consistent, coordinated approach is applied to the control of all works on the network.
- Advising your line manager of high impact works to support strategic decision making across the network and be capable of deputising in this role as and when required.
- Line manage the TfL roadworks coordination function to provide high quality cross boundary coordination
- Accountable for understanding and acting on the TfL vision of ‘Everyone home safe and healthy every day’.
- Reduce bus delay to enable increased bus speeds and savings by TfL Buses
- Responsible for the collation of data to assist borough decision making.
- Act as a Programme Manager with the boroughs to ensure we have combined coordination plans in the short, medium and long term
- Work with internal technical specialists who will use data led tools to assess roadworks, ensuring average journey time improvements for buses across the essential bus road network enabling operational savings and revenue generation.
- Good oral and written communication skills, and an ability to work in an innovative but structured manner (Essential)
- Networking and influencing skills with a range of both internal and external stakeholders (Essential)
- Ability to lead, performance manage and motivate individuals (Essential)
- Highly numerate, good IT skills, detail conscious and well organised. Ability to work under minimal guidance (Essential)
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects in a complex organisation to achieve business outcomes (Highly desirable)
- Ability to work in cross business teams and resolve conflict (Highly desirable)
- Diplomacy and pragmatism to steer delivery partners towards achieving joint objectives (Desirable)
- Ability to organise and present complex information in an easily accessible way to multiple audiences (Desirable)
- Degree and / or equivalent professional qualification in Highways/Transport and / or significant work experience (Essential)
- Thorough understanding of management and delivery of roadworks and schemes relevant to a transport authority (Essential).
- Detailed understanding of transport in London and emerging best practice (Highly Desirable)
- Good understanding of the Traffic Management Act, New Roads & Streetworks Act and the London Permit Scheme (Desirable)
- Understanding of the management of road activity in London, with a focus on roadworks planning (Desirable)
- Working knowledge of utility works requirements and their delivery (Desirable)
- Experience of delivering programmes in large complex, regulated organisations where there are multiple interfaces(Essential)
- Experience of negotiating with challenging stakeholders (Essential)
- Experience of programme coordination balancing conflicting requirements and demands (Essential)
- Experience of using diplomacy to influence and support external delivery partners in achieving joint objectives (Highly desirable)
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
Please apply using your CV and a two page covering letter. Word format (.docx) and do not include any photographs or images
UK Skilled Worker Visa Sponsorship available, more information on the process can be discussed during the application process
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme
- Free travel for you on the TfL network
- Reimbursement of 75% of the cost of a standard class Ticket for National Rail travel from home or 75% reimbursement on a 28-day flexi ticket
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- Discounted Eurostar travel
To apply for this job please visit uk.indeed.com.