University of British Columbia
Farm Worker 1
Full Job DescriptionStaff – Non-UnionJob Category
Job Description Summary
Works with other Farm Workers and students under the general supervision of the Manager.
- Milk ~235 cows twice daily according to the established schedule as determined by the Manager in consultation with staff.
- Assures high milk quality and sanitation.
- Collects milk samples for research purposes.
- Separates milk from treated cows as required.
- Assists with calving.
- Diagnoses and treats cow disorders, particularly udder problems.
- Monitors and maintains milking and related equipment.
- Communicates problems to the Manager and discuss corrective action.
B. Animal Husbandry
- Maintains animals according to the guidelines of the Canadian Council on Animal Care.
- Mixes and feeds rations to animals in all age groups.
- Performs estrus detection and artificial insemination.
- Dehorns and trim hoofs as required.
- Cleans and maintains barns.
- Maintains husbandry equipment in good and clean operating condition
- Assists with research projects related to the dairy herd
- Maintains accurate records
- Performs fieldwork including operating a full range of farm equipment required for manure spreading, fertilizing, cultivating, seeding, and harvesting.
- Performs maintenance and minor repairs to farm equipment
- Assists with research experiments related to fieldwork.
- Performs other related duties as required.
A consequence of Error/Judgement
Inappropriate care and treatment of animals would result in loss of net income due to reduced production, possible loss of expensive research animals, and endanger other animals or people handling animals. In each case, research projects and the reputation of the Centre would be compromised.
Inadequate maintenance or incorrect use of equipment or failure to repair equipment could compromise staff, student and animal safety as well as the integrity of the research programs. In addition, such failures of good practice will reduce net income.
To apply for this job please visit hr.ubc.ca.