University of Pretoria
Senior Technical Assistant
Full Job Description
To provide technical support to the teaching and research programmes of the Department of Civil Engineering.
The role is responsible for health and safety aspects in the laboratory.
- Relevant National 3 year Diploma
- Grade 12 with mathematics, science and technical drawings (latter optional)
- Drivers licence – EB or B
- A total of 2 years with a relevant National 3 year Diploma
- A total of 4 years with Grade 12
- Artisan or equivalent training and experience
- Work as test or instrumentation technician with experience in:
- Troubleshooting of electronic measurement systems and manufacturing and maintenance of mechanical and electrical test equipment
- Servo-hydraulic & Pneumatic control systems
- Fixing instrumentation and control systems
- Execution of experiments
- Acquiring measured data
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- Execution of structural testing programs
- Exposure to servo-hydraulic structural testing machines and controllers
- Data acquisitioning hardware and software
- Set-up of measurement instrumentation
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Computer networks
- Basic electricity and electronics
- Measurement instrumentation
- Ability to source new and upgrade old equipment
- Fitting & turning
- Manufacturing of network and communication cables for different types of data loggers (BNC, Ether etc.)
- Precision soldering
- Hand skills (welding, fitting and turning, milling, mechanical and electrical, soldering)
- Computer literacy
- Ability to work in a research team
- Ability to handle large diverse class groups for practical sessions
- Cross cultural communication skills
- Show initiative and be pro-active in problem solving
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
Applicants are requested to apply online at www.up.ac.za, and follow the link: Careers@UP.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
By applying for this vacancy, the candidates consent to undergo verification of personal credentials and related information including, but not limited to, qualifications, criminal record, credit record, current and historic disciplinary proceedings as part of the selection process.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.
To apply for this job please visit za.indeed.com.