Last updated on 5th Nov 2019
Tatkal Ticket Booking Time in 2020
What is Tatkal?
Tatkal, literally means ‘Immediate’. Tatkal booking facility is the savior for millions of travelers. The comfortable last minute travel is made possible with Tatkal system.
Tatkal ticket booking time starts a day in advance. For instance, if you want to travel tomorrow, you can book the tickets today. Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd constantly update the system of tatkal booking to ease the process of booking tickets online. Tatkal ticket booking opened at 10 am every day.
Do you know about the new tatkal ticket booking time updated by Indian Railways this year before Jan 2016?
Booking an e-ticket using tatkal scheme during the rush hour is like rushing in an ambulance during peak traffic. Due to heavy traffic and a huge load on servers during the tatkal hours, between 10 am to 12 pm, users find it too hard to book their tickets. In order to eliminate the problems faced by the users, IRCTC modified their tatkal ticket booking time system in 2016.
Earlier in 2012-2013, the tatkal ticket booking time was scheduled at 8 am every day, which was then altered to 10 am. Updating the system of tatkal booking is a continuous process in order to meet the demands from the public.
Tatkal Ticket Booking Time in 2020
What is IRCTC Tatkal Ticket Booking Time Today?
New tatkal ticket booking time is now divided into two slots now 10 AM and 11 AM with a new system called IRCTC Lite. This is a promising facility offered by IRCTC to enhance the user experience.
Slot1 - 10AM
For AC Classes:
In all the trains tatkal reservation for AC Classes will be opened at 10 am sharp, just before 1 days from train's origin station.
Slot2 - 11AM
For Non-AC Classes (Sleeper/2Sleeper):
In all the trains tatkal reservation for Non-AC Classes will be opened at 11 am sharp, just before 1 days from train's origin station.
Why tatkal ticket booking time changes has been done by Indian Railway?
Indian Railway has decided to divide the tatkal into two slots in order to reduce the load on the website during the tatkal hour that is 10AM. However, IRCTC website portal has been improved a lot of loading and response time now by implementing the IRCTC Lite Verison concept (explained below) but still the website gets down at 10 AM sometimes.
After this separation of slot1 and slot2, Railway is making sure that the UP-Time for the website will be 100%.
What About IRCTC Agents Timing?
Railway says IRCTC agents will now be stopped from booking the tickets for 30 minutes:
- From the opening of bookings - from 8 a.m. to 8.30 a.m. for general bookings,
- From 10 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. for Tatkal AC classes and
- From 11 a.m. to 11.30 a.m. for Tatkal non-AC classes
Some other changes are also done by Indian Railway:
Railway senior official says that "Currently there is no refund amount if passenger cancels there Confirmed tatkal ticket but now Railway is planning to provide 50% of total fare of Tatkal ticket on cancellation"
What is IRCTC Lite:
IRCTC Lite Version is very similar to the existing IRCTC tatkal scheme, except the fact that all unwanted and irrelevant elements are eliminated during this peak hour of booking. Elimination of additional services cut downs the load and enhances the speed of booking a transaction.
Also Read: What is IRCTC Lite Version ?
For instance, IRCTC Lite facility doesn’t allow any ads, images, features, etc which are irrelevant to tatkal booking.
The ‘Plan My Travel’ section is automated with a list of stations. In addition, in the ‘My Transactions’ section, the services like cancellation history, refund status, etc are not available under new scheme only during the peak hours.
The new IRCTC service received a promising welcome! Soon after the launch of this facility IRCTC Lite, the average bookings has been increased, claims the GM, IRCTC.
The positive and element of IRCTC Lite are the timing! The no-frill Lite system with a bonus of half an hour makes the tatkal booking a hassle-free process.
What are the problems all Indian face during tatkal ticket booking time
1. Login Problem: This had been the biggest problem in Indian Railway's website we have been facing. In order to book tatkal ticket we will have to log in 3-5 minutes before in the IRCTC portal but at this time the traffic is huge so 90% people are unable to log in. By the way, Indian Railways has overcome to this problem by bringing IRCTC Lite Concept on same website www.irctc.co.in After this change, one can easily login into the portal at any time without any hassle.
2. Session Expire: As you need to log in 3 to 5 minutes before in the Portal, sometimes it happens session get expired. This is because IRCTC website has Session Expiration feature based on Minutes (5 minutes) now to throughout the Agents who make a log in 30 minutes before the tatkal ticket booking time and keep clicking on any link to keep the session alive.
3. Number of Queries: Again new concept introduced :-/ Indian railways brought new concept called "Limitation in a number of queries per session". If you log in 5 minutes before tatkal ticket booking time and clicks more than 25 times on any link in portal then session will get expired and you will get one error message as "Number of queries exceeded". This concept is introduced to eliminate spam from the website. However, irctc is 'https://' means SSL secured (Secured socket Layer) but I mean of Spam is visitors who uses any script to automate the tatkal ticket booking process.
4. Captcha Filing: Did you ever notice the captcha during Normal ticket booking and Tatkal ticket booking time is totally different. During tatkal ticket booking time, the captcha is very hard to read so many times you struggle to enter a correct captcha and go ahead. To overcome this problem you can refer the article Tatkal Booking Tricks 2016.
Que1. Can I book tatkal ticket anytime in online?
Ans. No, you can't. Tatkal ticket can not be booked at any time. there are specific hours to book tatkal tickets online that ie. 10am for AC coaches and 11am for SL coaches on the daily basis.
The time is same for both Online e-ticket and counter ticket.
Que2. How many tickets can be booked at a time in TATKAL?
As per the IRCTC new guidelines, one user is permitted to book only 2(two) tatkal tickets from one IP address between 10 am to 12 noon. So the user might get a limit exceeded warning while booking tickets more than two.
If still you face any problem rather than mentioned above, feel free to comment below we will look into that.